Dying thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (Sermons on Galatians 2:21), Works 4:209-210:

Labour for such thoughts of the law of God, and of the righteousness of Christ, and of the grace of God, as you will have when you come to die. Dying thoughts are commonly the truest. When a man is launching into eternity – when the man hath, as it were, put one foot off from the shore of time and is leaving this world – what a poor mean thing is this little cottage of self-righteousness? It is as nothing in the man’s eyes; but that great palace of the righteousness of Christ, and the great tenor of free grace, in bestowing it on the unworthy – what a glorious thing doth it appear to be? Dying people do not use to brag of their lives and their great attainments: Lord Jesus, receive my spirit, saith dying Stephen, Acts 7:59. “I am waiting for one good turn more from Christ. Now I am dying, Lord, take my soul.” Although my house be not so with God, saith dying David, yet he hath made with me an everlasting covenant, ordered in all things, and sure: this is all my salvation, and all my desire, 2 Sam. 23:5.

Living a life of repentance and dying in such is a blessing. Just before I read this I read the obituary of a fellow sister from our congregation. Our Lord's providence is so wondrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back