ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
I've a got a bunch of old cassette tapes that I'm kind of thinking I'd like to make into mp3s. I'm thinking about buying an inexpensive tape deck, maybe at ebay. I've never purchased anything from ebay and I was just wondering if any of you have had any good/bad experiences with them. Since I assume most anybody can advertise there, what are the chance of getting a piece of junk? I assume there's no return policy.
 
I've bought quite a bit off eBay, including digital cameras, etc. and had overwhelmingly positive experiences.

If you buy from an individual selling his old tape deck, yeah, odds are you're stuck with it if it doesn't work.

If you buy from someone running an actual eBay business, though, there is likely a return policy of some sort.

A tape deck such as this is precisely the sort of thing I'd go to eBay for, actually.

As an alternative, does your community have a Yahoo! 'Freecycle' group? The idea is instead of throwing stuff away, one gives it to whoever wants it. One must live in the zip codes of the particular group to be included, and then one posts what stuff one wants to get rid of, or posts what one is looking for.
 
I concur with everything Anne said. There is still time to find one at a yard sale. Drive around tomorrow. They are easy to find. OR, do you have a Good Will near by. I've seen lots there.
 
I've bought quite a bit off eBay, including digital cameras, etc. and had overwhelmingly positive experiences.

If you buy from an individual selling his old tape deck, yeah, odds are you're stuck with it if it doesn't work.

If you buy from someone running an actual eBay business, though, there is likely a return policy of some sort.

A tape deck such as this is precisely the sort of thing I'd go to eBay for, actually.
Thanks for the advice.

As an alternative, does your community have a Yahoo! 'Freecycle' group? The idea is instead of throwing stuff away, one gives it to whoever wants it. One must live in the zip codes of the particular group to be included, and then one posts what stuff one wants to get rid of, or posts what one is looking for.
I'd never heard 'Freecycle groups' before, but it turns out they have one for my town. I'll have to check it out sometime.


I concur with everything Anne said. There is still time to find one at a yard sale. Drive around tomorrow. They are easy to find.
I had forgotten that my youngest son had a Karaoke machine kicking around the house that worked just fine. I managed to record an old sermon from a cassette and create the .wav file. Now all I've gotta do is figure out how to change the .wav file to an mp3 file with Windows Media player. (I know how to do it if I'm going from a CD to an mp3, but can't seem to figure out how to do it when I've got the files already on the computer).

Computer-geek-wanna-be in training,

Bob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top