Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
There is also a class of so-called “professional” doctoral degrees, e.g. DMin which are aimed at busy professionals who do not have time to leave their profession to return to school for a traditional academic course of study. The professional doctoral degree does not usually meet the tests set out above for an academic degree. In the interests of full disclosure, WSC had a DMin program for many years but we closed our program at the same time many seminaries in North America began theirs. Typically these programs do not require knowledge of original or foreign languages nor do they require original academic research. This is not to say that there are no good DMin projects, there are but they are the exception rather than the rule. The nature and proliferation of this degree is such that David Wells complained, in print, some years back about the “DMin-ization” of the church. He was getting at the problem which lies beneath the need for pastors to augment their credibility by becoming “Rev Dr So and So, DMin.” There are schools who have faculty members whose credential is a DMin. Again, this is not fatal but, caveat emptor. It is fair to ask why a faculty member has a professional and not academic degree and whether that degree is sufficient preparation for the course of study in which instructor teaches. I’m not thinking here of visiting or adjunct faculty but rather about full-time, residential faculty.
on the matter, though I probably have about $1.50 I could say I have a question concerning this paragraph under part 2:
I am more or less in agreement with the statements (i.e., I recognize that a number of D.Min. degrees might not be quite up to snuff), but my concern is this paragraph: "This is not to say that there are no good DMin projects, there are but they are the exception rather than the rule." What schools out there have good D.Min. programs?There is also a class of so-called “professional” doctoral degrees, e.g. DMin which are aimed at busy professionals who do not have time to leave their profession to return to school for a traditional academic course of study. The professional doctoral degree does not usually meet the tests set out above for an academic degree. In the interests of full disclosure, WSC had a DMin program for many years but we closed our program at the same time many seminaries in North America began theirs. Typically these programs do not require knowledge of original or foreign languages nor do they require original academic research. This is not to say that there are no good DMin projects, there are but they are the exception rather than the rule. The nature and proliferation of this degree is such that David Wells complained, in print, some years back about the “DMin-ization” of the church. He was getting at the problem which lies beneath the need for pastors to augment their credibility by becoming “Rev Dr So and So, DMin.” There are schools who have faculty members whose credential is a DMin. Again, this is not fatal but, caveat emptor. It is fair to ask why a faculty member has a professional and not academic degree and whether that degree is sufficient preparation for the course of study in which instructor teaches. I’m not thinking here of visiting or adjunct faculty but rather about full-time, residential faculty.
As to my own circumstance, I am currently in the pastorate full-time. I have no desire to resign a call and pick up and move somewhere to pursue a full-time degree (family circumstances are arising that prevent this). I am 42 and have no modern language background apart from two years of high school Spanish (i.e., I cannot read German or French at all). I do have two Master-level degrees (M.Ed., M.Div.), and I am currently finishing up a third (M.Th.), all from accredited institutions. As I said I do not wish to leave the pastorate, but I might like to teach one day in an academic setting (I was once a high school teacher and part-time college prof), but in an adjunct/part-time position.
Would a D.Min. bear any consideration given these circumstances? And, if so, are there any D.Min. programs you would recommend, Dr. Clark?
Ironically, in Edwardsean fashion, the articles lay out marks to distinguish between genuine and false seminary education.
A "Quest for Unquestioned Academic Certainty" perhaps.
Real learning is often painful because it requires a genuine student to put to death familiar and cherished notions and to confront new and unfamiliar ones. It causes self-examination and that is usually painful. It requires the acquisition not only of new skills, which can be difficult, but it also requires the formation of new ways of thinking which is never easy. True education is a counter-cultural undertaking. One must break from the prevailing culture of “busy-ness” and enterprise (whether commercial or religious) in order to become educated because real learning takes time, patience, and sacrifice.
Mark,
The Belgic Confession (and lots of Reformed writers) used this approach long before Edwards.
Mark,
The Belgic Confession (and lots of Reformed writers) used this approach long before Edwards.
Happy to see you come to recognize that.
-----Added 8/16/2009 at 09:51:45 EST-----
A line from his last blog entry on accreditation:
...a real accreditation (i.e. one recognized by the Department of Education) {emphasis added}.
If the government doesn't recognize the accreditation, it isn't "real"? Should Christian institutions accept this premise?
Mark,
There are two ways to respond. In the world as it now is there are bogus "accreditation" agencies. Such agencies don't actually provide a real accreditation. They don't do what accreditation agencies do. They do give the illusion of accreditation to schools that can't get a real accreditation.
It's theoretically possible for schools with high standards to abandon the current system and covenant together to hold each other accountable, to form accreditation teams, to spend the resources to do the self-studies, to form the visiting teams and even, to penalize each other for failing to uphold the agreed standards but to veer back to the real world momentarily, this is unlikely.
Accreditation is difficult, painful, even expensive. It forces academics to do things for which they have not trained and which they are not inclined to do. It's hard to imagine non-profit organizations generally spending time and resources on accreditation without a strong external stimulus.
There was a world where accreditation wasn't necessary but I guess that time and place is no more.
J. P.
It's not accurate to say that there is hostility at WSC toward Edwards. I think the historians at WSC want to take a careful, balanced, historical approach to Edwards.
KC...I found your post to be very moving and in many parts quite beautiful.
But I think you are all wrong here: The argument is one of the seminary experience. Which pastor will look back at seminary and any particular curriculum and say that it had a profound impact on his ability to serve the church? Rather, isn't it the impact made from the relationship and circumstance he had while there? Academics will not produce one iota of spiritual insight.
When my husband went to WTS in the 70s out of the great Jesus Revival, the entire cultural hippy mindset was so rebellious and independent and stupid. (I got saved and they gave me a bible and Hal Lindsey's book on the rapture.) The church was a doctrinal mess. Going to Seminary was one of the greatest blessings on earth for many young guys who knew little of the great Reformation doctrines or church history or anything else. It was life changing. For both of us, reading theology books now is, well, tremendous. Bible study is a lifelong thing, we will never ever stop learning. Academics produce enormous insight. A good seminary is a treasure. Books are a treasure. Good teachers are a gift from the ascended Lord to the church.
Renewing the mind is one part of sanctification. You appeal to a lot of other areas of sanctification and you are right about all of them. The heart, the prayer life, relationships, evangelism, they all matter, and they matter a lot. But let me tell you from sad experience that I've seen over and over again, if you have all that without the sound doctrine you eventually go off the rails. It all has to go together.
Why should a seminary try and be a church? Hub went and learned his academics but was very intensely involved in a local church, as were the 3 friends from WTS he still keeps in touch with. All of them had their iron sharpening iron with small groups, discipleship, pastoral care. It didn't happen at Seminary particularly. ( then they got married, ha, that's a great way to get sin exposed real quick).
Right now we have interns from two seminaries at my church. They work with kids and adults and do some preaching and meet with the pastor every week and so on. Why should any of that happen at seminary? It is with the church that their heart and walk with God gets refined. If they have some problem with lust or worry or unbelief, is that for the professors, or the elders to guard over?
I went through this at our last Christian school. We had two good ones in PA but the one in NJ after we moved ( 4 boys, now all done with highschool) started to try and be the church, at school. The final 2 years it was more than teaching academics from a Christian and biblical worldview, it was usurping the church. They tried to turn the chapel and other meetings into something that didn't belong to them and it was perhaps well meant, but an abuse/misuse of their authority. We were so annoyed and had to help our youngest with a couple issues. If the public school wasn't so bad we'd have pulled him out. I'm homeschooling my youngest now, I will never send her back to a school that wants to be the church elders (or parents).
All that to say the problem is not with seminaries being devoted to the mind and to academics. For 30 grand a year you better learn Greek and Hebrew and church history and doctrine, and not sit around having a therapy session about your traumatic childhood and how you are angry now. Let the Seminaries do the academics and do them well. Let the church elders guard the flock.
The problem may be when it comes time to choose a pastor. Yeah, I suppose there may be cases where they grill you for two hours on the doctrine of justification, and never ask how your prayer life is, or what your wife thinks about your headship in the home. It sometimes does sound like ordination is very head oriented, but I'm not ordained so what do I know. But even there, that is a church problem, not a seminary problem. Is it up to the profs to make sure that students are active in a local church, and don't end up as pastors if they can't love people? I don't think so. It is up to the individual churches not to choose a candidate who is proud, puffed up, and all head and not heart. It isn't up to seminaries to give degrees based on private prayer life and compassion.
All that said, the pastors we know who did the CCEF classes available in conjunction with WTS said the training was invaluable. They invariably have people end up in the church with depression, bad marriages, problem kids, PTSS, teen girls that cut themselves, bi polars, lust, and all the normal average sins. The sort of insight and help from the guys like Tripp and all the rest of the CCEF crowd is enormously beneficial. The recent debates at WTS about going back to a more narrow Machenite "training pastors to preach doctrine almost exclusively" vision have been a hot topic. Pastors often say that one counseling class at WTS was not enough, you need the whole CCEF certification course to be well prepared to deal with sinful folks today.
Personally I think counseling is very doctrinal, and dealing with nitty gritty human messes draws in a great deal of doctrine. And I think WTS and WSC may lose folks to places like Redeemer-Dallas (a former Westminster) because there is a broader course offering there. But then I think of John Piper, who preached an ivory tower series on the holiness of God, and worried that his flock had so many problems and he was just talking for two months about the doctrine of God's attributes with zero practical application. Then somebody came up to him and said the only thing that had gotten them through the past two months, after their teen girl was molested by a relative, was hearing about God's holiness every week. I feel that way sometimes...agonizing about some situation for weeks and some dry bit of theology brings an inner breakthough.
Well, I better stop rambling.
) The people were so appreciative that they finally had their own pastor again after 2 years of mess and limbo, and they LOVED his solid preaching, and I can look back and see God's grace despite hub's lack of full equipping, but I'd say to anybody now to wait. Be an assistant until your mid 30s unless clearly directed otherwise.In order to guarantee complete freedom for Greenville Seminary to operate under the Lord of the church, without subjection to outside influences, the Seminary does not plan to apply for accreditation with any of the regional or national agencies. The Seminary is committed to maintaining academic standards equal to or higher than those set by accrediting agencies.
Accreditation cannot guarantee that any school indeed provides a quality education. To a great extent, the quality of education delivered by a school depends on intangibles—things that cannot be measured, such as the teaching ability of the professors, their dedication to their task, and the commitment of the students to profit from the education they are offered. Accreditation, however, depends on measurability—such things as the percentage of professors with an earned doctorate in their field; the number of books and journals housed in the library; the availability of computers to the students.
After reviewing the academic programs of Greenville Seminary, the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) has recognized its M.Div. curriculum as being in compliance with the PCA’s Uniform Curriculum without exception, and at least one Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC) presbytery has consented to enter into an oversight relationship with the Seminary. After several campus visits by a reviewing committee, the Reformed Church in the United States (RCUS) denomination has put Greenville Seminary on its list of approved seminaries. It is the conviction of the Seminary that, as her graduates receive acceptance with the church, this is the ultimate accreditation for a seminary.
The Seminary will receive regular accrediting visits by Ruling and Teaching Elders sent by their presbyteries and sessions. The purpose of the visitation is to examine the Seminary as to how faithful she has been in achieving her stated goals. The visitation committees have full access to all Seminary records and may interview any member of the faculty, staff, or student body.
With all due respect to Dr. Clark, I don’t think part 3 holds water. Nor do I think it is nearly as convincing an argument as parts 1 and 2. The implication of the title of this series of blog posts is that any school not meeting all of these criteria is, by definition, a “false” school. As I read part 3 and the insistence that all “true” Reformed seminaries must have the blessing of the U.S. Department of Education, I couldn’t help but wonder, “What Would Machen Do?”