English Bible translations based on the majority text?

Status
Not open for further replies.

retroGRAD3

Puritan Board Senior
Hello all, I was wondering if there was any modern English Bibles that are based on the majority texts? I am not looking for ones based on the TR, but majority text. As far as I can tell these are two different things. If I am in error though, please let me know.

I understand a translation called the World English Bible is a Majority text Bible

Hello all, I was wondering if there was any modern English Bibles that are based on the majority texts? I am not looking for ones based on the TR, but majority text. As far as I can tell these are two different things. If I am in error though, please let me know.
The TR and the majority text are 99.9% the same. One is the Byzantine text as edited by Erasmus, Stephanie, and Beza and the other is a modern edition of the Byzantine text with a little different comparative method. Given that there's already some variation between the TR editions, I tend to group the majority text with the TR.

The TR and the majority text are 99.9% the same. One is the Byzantine text as edited by Erasmus, Stephanie, and Beza and the other is a modern edition of the Byzantine text with a little different comparative method. Given that there's already some variation between the TR editions, I tend to group the majority text with the TR.
They are largely the same, but there are some major differences in the later Johannine literature, especially Revelation. In many places in Revelation, the TR agrees with neither the MT or CT.

Thanks for the info. I will look into the web and greens. I also need to get myself a NKJV reference Bible with textual notes. I don't have one of those yet. I am realizing all I have is critical text translations, not that this is bad, but I wanted to do some comparing.

I see that "The World English Bible is a 1997 revision of the American Standard Version of the Holy Bible". Does this mean that the ASV is also majority text?

I see that "The World English Bible is a 1997 revision of the American Standard Version of the Holy Bible". Does this mean that the ASV is also majority text?
No the 1901 ASV, like the 1886 RV were translations of the critical text.

Many people who like the ASV for its literal, if at times somewhat awkward translation.

I have not looked at the American Standard Version Byzantine Text, but I suspect it is someone taking the passages where the ASV differed from the majority Byzantine Text and re-translated the particular passages from the Byzantine.
I

I also need to get myself a NKJV reference Bible with textual notes.
This is s good plan for what you are seeking. The NKJV editors were Majority Text guys so even though it is TR in the main they pointed out Majority deviations.

I would disagree with this primarily because the methodology, at least as it is expressed today, is different. I'd also distinguish between the Majority Text (which I believe limits itself to Byzantine texts) and the Byzantine Priority, which, as the name suggests, prioritizes the Byzantine text but considers all textual evidence. TR methodology is significantly different in practice.

The ASV (because it was public domain) was used as the base English translation for the WEB, but the underlying Greek text used the Byzantine Priority. And it is not a precise reproduction of the ASV either, as the entire flow has been re-worked. I've been using it for two years and have enjoyed it.

Honestly, you will be very hard pressed to notice differences from your CT translations unless you sit down and compare. You can find the WEB for free online.

Thanks for the info. I will look into the web and greens. I also need to get myself a NKJV reference Bible with textual notes. I don't have one of those yet. I am realizing all I have is critical text translations, not that this is bad, but I wanted to do some comparing.
I think that the NKJV you can read online at Bible Gateway has those textual notes. Unless there's a hard copy reference Bible with greater detail that I'm not aware of, that's primarily how I try to catch any text critical issues significant enough that I ought to be aware of them when I'm preparing.

Thanks for the info. I usually like to try and get paper versions as I'm not much of an ebook person. I understand it might be challenging for the WEB, but I will give it a try. Otherwise I will use the online versions.

As a summary, so it looks like there are only 2 TR translations (KJV, NKJV) and 2 Majority Text translations (WEB, Green) and every other english translation is using the Critical Text?

Thanks for the info. I usually like to try and get paper versions as I'm not much of an ebook person. I understand it might be challenging for the WEB, but I will give it a try. Otherwise I will use the online versions.
I wouldn’t get the WEB in physical copy. It is still something if a work in progress (thought not near as much as it was), as little edits are being suggested and made regularly.

I wouldn’t get the WEB in physical copy. It is still something if a work in progress (thought not near as much as it was), as little edits are being suggested and made regularly.
Yes, I was just researching them and the report did not look great at the moment. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry for another double post but final question for now.

Does anyone know of a good print copy of the NKJV with references and textual notes? I am looking for a nice one on good paper with good formatting, that isn't printed in China on cheap paper with no care.

Does anyone know of a good print copy of the NKJV with references and textual notes? I am looking for a nice one on good paper with good formatting, that isn't printed in China on cheap paper with no care.
Anything from Cambridge or Schuyler would be good, but you’re going to pay for it.

As a summary, so it looks like there are only 2 TR translations (KJV, NKJV) and 2 Majority Text translations (WEB, Green) and every other english translation is using the Critical Text?
There is an English Majority Text Version based on Robinson-Pierpont. As far as I know, it is only digital. But it is “Byzantine Priority” not strictly Majority

So in the end, I will use the online versions of the WEB for majority. Then, I ordered a Cambridge NKJV Clarion for a nice TR (also its not one that completely breaks the bank), which has references and textual notes. One day I think I will get a cambridge NASB (1995), which at the moment is my favorite critical text bible. Thanks all for the input.

Oops! Yes, you're right. I was mistaken about Green's translation. I think I may have been confusing it with Gary Zeolla's Analytical-Literal New Testament, which is based on the Majority Text.
This thread is adding all kinds of Bibles to my to buy list and to my translations to compare document for sermon preparation! Do you know of any free electronic version for Zeolla's translation?

I don't know anything about him but a brief skim of his website says he's a fellow Penn State alumnus so he must be a good guy...

This thread is adding all kinds of Bibles to my to buy list and to my translations to compare document for sermon preparation! Do you know of any free electronic version for Zeolla's translation?

I don't know anything about him but a brief skim of his website says he's a fellow Penn State alumnus so he must be a good guy...
I don’t think I know where you can get his translation for free. I looked a while back and came up empty.

His website is odd. For one thing, it looks like it was designed on Microsoft Frontpage in 1995. For another, his diversity of interests is…intriguing. lol

I find it interesting how many people are MT (rather than TR) but not a single major translation is based on that text type. Not to denigrate the WEB but there’s not even anything on the order of a CSB or LSB in the majority text.

I find it interesting how many people are MT (rather than TR) but not a single major translation is based on that text type. Not to denigrate the WEB but there’s not even anything on the order of a CSB or LSB in the majority text.
It’s just not a well-known position or well-advocated-for position. Add to this that there is, in my estimation, a technocratic elitism surrounding the CT, which pressures many people to shy away from even questioning it. There is also such a large number of fruit-loop knuckleheads on the TR side that many of the more militant CT advocates, like James White, use it to their advantage, further bolstering CT elitism and, with it, greater fear of departure from the CT. These two groups usually take up so much air time that balanced voices such as Maurice Robinson get drowned out.

Not very eloquent, but this is my assessment.

It’s just not a well-known position or well-advocated-for position. Add to this that there is, in my estimation, a technocratic elitism surrounding the CT, which pressures many people to shy away from even questioning it. There is also such a large number of fruit-loop knuckleheads on the TR side that many of the more militant CT advocates, like James White, use it to their advantage, further bolstering CT elitism and, with it, greater fear of departure from the CT. These two groups usually take up so much air time that balanced voices such as Maurice Robinson get drowned out.

Not very eloquent, but this is my assessment.
Bingo.

There is a contingency of us who do not hold to the CT position at the seminary. The breakdown of guys who hold to non-CT positions might be 2/3 MT and 1/3 TR. Myself and a few others hold to the TR position. What I've noticed though, is that most of the guys use the NKJV primarily. The MT guys really enjoy it and advocate for its use. I primarily use the KJV but always have my NKJV nearby for different translation methods (modern definitions from a translation committee in our time). I think they prefer it for the text notes, which give a pretty clear assessment of what the MT says without going to the Greek.

Jason, this is the ISBN for a NKJV such as you mentioned, though you'll have to hunt for a decent low-priced copy: 9781558196520

Another lesser known version is the EMTV: https://ebible.org/engemtv/INT01.htm

I think the NKJV with textual notes is the best option, as it will show you the differences of the TR with the MT (and CT).
I agree. If you have the NKJV, you have a faithful translation with essentially a picture of the entire textual landscape. In the main body you have the text of the TR, and in the footnotes the places of difference in the critical and majority texts. A very useful too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back