English Church History

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukeh021471

Puritan Board Freshman
I am looking for any recommendations on a comprehensive book/books about the English reformation through the puritan era.
I would also like any recommendation pertaining to the lollards.
Thank You:book2:

Merle d'Aubigne's 2 volume work The Reformation in England is a good start. There are a couple of chapters in vol 1 relating to Wycliff and the Lollards.

Try A.G. Dickens, English Reformation, 2nd ed., Penn State University Press, 1994.

I also recently purchased a used copy of Peter Lewis' The Genius of the Puritans, but haven't had the opportunity to read it yet.

I also recently purchased a used copy of Peter Lewis' The Genius of the Puritans, but haven't had the opportunity to read it yet.

Excellent book well worth a read. In a similar vein there is also the following

The Puritans: their origins and successors (DM Lloyd-Jones)
Worldly Saints: the Puritans as they really were (leland Ryken)
Among God's Giants (Jim Packer)

Iain Murray's The Reformation of the Church is helpful as it contains documents from the Reformers and Puritans relating to church issues

Iain Murray's The Reformation of the Church is helpful as it contains documents from the Reformers and Puritans relating to church issues

Thanks for the suggestions! I was not aware of this book by Murray; is it recent or older?

First published Banner of Truth in the mid 1960s. Now reprinted in paperback.

Regards

Thanks for the suggestions! I was not aware of this book by Murray; is it recent or older?

It was originally published in 1965 and my copy is the 1987 reprint. Don't know if there are any later editions or whether it is still in print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back