EP in the ARP

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who is RP and EP I pray for the day when your denomination will return to its roots and again embrace Exclusive Psalmody.
 
I would love to go to the Conference but cannot because of school. I am fairly confident that Deaconesses are on their way out by way of attrition in the ARP. May be 20 or t30 years but it wil happen I think. Though as usual I could be wrong.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for this, Ben. It really goes to show that a change 62 years ago to include 'some hymns' has gone far beyond what our ARP fathers intended.

You should talk to my pastor, Ray Lanning, (30 year ARP minister) about EP in the denomination. He knows much of this history of the change, etc.

His email is raylann51 AT gmail DOT com

He will enjoy discussing this with you.
 
Thanks for this, Ben. It really goes to show that a change 62 years ago to include 'some hymns' has gone far beyond what our ARP fathers intended.

You should talk to my pastor, Ray Lanning, (30 year ARP minister) about EP in the denomination. He knows much of this history of the change, etc.

His email is raylann51 AT gmail DOT com

He will enjoy discussing this with you.

Thanks Nate. I'll definitely shoot him an e-mail.
 
Had it not been for the issue of EP, the church I currently pastor would not be an ARP church (it would not exist at all). In the early- to mid-1800s, most of the ARP churches in this area of KY because part of the southern Presbyterian church (some left the state, though, because of the issue of slavery, since KY was not a free state). A small group did not wish to become SP, and the only theological issue (at the time) that made a difference was EP (i.e., the ARPs did not want to give up their Psalm singing and the distinctive difference). So, this small group became the only ARP church in the Louisville area.

I am trying to bring back the psalms to the church. It is very difficult since we don't really have a workable psalter at present (that's how much disuse the singing of psalms has fallen into here) and the people aren't used to singing them. I did get one word of encouragement from an elderly lady last Wed, however: she is old enough to remember the EP days, and she said she didn't like the psalms when she was young, and enjoyed the day when the hymns were introduced. But later she missed the psalms greatly. She was glad that I was "bringing them back" (to use her words).
 
The ARP is supposed to be hosting a website for posting psalms in the public domain to make them more widely available to churches. There's not much there yet, though (Home (Associate Reformed Presbyterian Worship)).

If you are interested, Ben, send me an email with your mailing address, and I'll send you a copy of the article (written by an historical society here in L'ville) that documents the development of the these things in the city (i.e., the reason why there is only one ARP church here!).
 
Benjamin, what is the Bible Songs book? I thought maybe that was Psalms. What about the Trinity Psalter?

Tim, Morrie is putting in some Psalms without even making a big deal out of it. He'll use some out of the Trinity Hymnal and sometimes he'll put words in the bulletin. There are probably only a couple of people in the whole church who would even know anything about the Psalms-singing issue, so I think it is good that he just includes them!
 
Benjamin, what is the Bible Songs book? I thought maybe that was Psalms. What about the Trinity Psalter?

Tim, Morrie is putting in some Psalms without even making a big deal out of it. He'll use some out of the Trinity Hymnal and sometimes he'll put words in the bulletin. There are probably only a couple of people in the whole church who would even know anything about the Psalms-singing issue, so I think it is good that he just includes them!

I do not know anything about the Bible Songs book, 1) Because I have been ARP for less than a year and 2) We do not use it.

The Trinity Hymnal does have some Psalms from the 1912 PCUS Psalter but they are paraphrases at best. Let us hope more begin to know the joy of singing the Psalms!!!
 
Tim, Morrie is putting in some Psalms without even making a big deal out of it. He'll use some out of the Trinity Hymnal and sometimes he'll put words in the bulletin. There are probably only a couple of people in the whole church who would even know anything about the Psalms-singing issue, so I think it is good that he just includes them!

Janis, this is more or less what I am doing as well. I have given serious thought to purchasing the Trinity Psalter (small and inexpensive), but pastoral ministry is often baby steps in areas like these!
 
I agree, Tim. Teaching a Christian worldview to a culture of Christians that look remarkably like the world must be a monumental task. The songs we sing to the Lord are just one small aspect.
 
The ARP Bible songs is a nice way to introduce the psalms to those who have never sung them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top