Ergun caner guilty: Removed as dean from seminary

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol. I posted this exact same thing in the "Country/World News" but it is awaiting approval. I'm glad LU Board of Trustees has done something about the lies, but we will have to wait and see if there is any better fruit to come (i.e. repentance).

Scary thing for a man to stand behind a pulpit and say things he knows to be false. Blows my mind that anyone could do that.

lol. I posted this exact same thing in the "Country/World News" but it is awaiting approval. I'm glad LU Board of Trustees has done something about the lies, but we will have to wait and see if there is any better fruit to come (i.e. repentance).

I think we will leave it here in a forum that is members only for right now. I deleted the other post thinking it should stay in the family discussion area for a bit.

I'm not familiar with this man or this situation.

Only looking at the pattern, a Dean being removed from position for formal reprimand for false information, does not often settle back into a teaching position at the same institution. Not at a Christian institution, not at any institution.

I still don't find anything about this on the Liberty website. Not saying it's not true, just that they still seem to be trying to cover it up.

Even tenured teachers have contractual responsibilities. A proven liar as a tenured professor at a seminary is par for the course these days I guess.

"This matter is behind us and we praise God that Dr. Caner is exonerated as he is retained at Liberty on faculty."

Dr. Ergun Caner Investigation Completed
by SBC Today

The article is an example of SBC church politics that exists in support for Ergun Caner. Some of this information has been known for quite a while and it took an AP article to really force the official investigation. I think there is a concern of some that there will be a backlash against them if they actually said that he lied. Truth is not so much the issue, but instead the covering of their own rear ends. I personally find it sad that Thomas Road Baptist Church, Ergun Caner’s church, isn’t involved officially in dealing with the Caner scandal so far.

Caner Canned

from CT Liberty University cuts Caner as seminary dean | Liveblog | Christianity Today

I feel that this could have widespread repercussions. "We" have a tendancy to think of Liberty as "them", but to non-christians we are all alike.

Also to what extent does this kind of pulpit liberty take place in reformed churches? I pray not at all, but we should be reminded by this case to be very careful with the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caner wasn't canned, he was demoted. Liberty University has effectively embraced the lie, not the truth. How sad for the church of Christ.

He was removed from his post as president of LBS, plus it makes a better headline ;)

If he had actually grown up where he claimed to have grown up, he very well could have been CANED for this! (an even better headline than CANNED)

One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat has only nine lives.
- Pudd'nhead Wilson

I thought he was Todd Bentley in a suit for the 7 or 8 highly dramatic clips of his preaching that I saw. Didn't see anything about conviction of sin, repentance, trust in Jesus and a walk in piety at all. Just looked like a rock and roll circus fiasco.

Does the "community" now apologize to the main antagonist from that other religion who led the charge here?

Great example set there for someone who needs Jesus, like we all do.

When I read that blurb from SBC Today, I know now where the former editors ofTass & Pravda landed after losing their old jobs.

Funny, I figured it was Saddam Hussein's former "information minister" that landed the SBCToday job.

baghdad20bob.jpg

Yes, now that Bagdad Bob is (evidently) on the Liberty payroll, he has had much to say . . . "Yes, I said "e-x-o-n-e-r-a-t-e-d." What part of the English language do you not understand, Infidel? Now that Dr. Caner has this matter of character assassination behind him, we can all move forward for the good of the "mother of all schools." Actually, he did not want to be the dean of the seminary any longer. It got in the way of his important teaching ministry. This was actually a promotion for him to be back in the classroom among adoring students and to have more opportunities to speak (and get tased on stage). The Infidel James White is simply playing into the hands of the great one. He has trapped White and will utterly destroy him and his cadre of evil doers."

Last edited:
As pastor of a Baptist congregation, whose heart and theological understanding is still presbyterian, oh how I yearn for meaningful connectionalism.

Isn't this Caner fellow the one and same who said about 3 years ago that Calvinists were actually a greater threat to Christianity than Muslims? I think he said something to that effect about the same time that Jerry Falwell pronounced Calvinism to be a heresy to a group of visiting prospective students, about three weeks prior to his death.

And still absolutely nothing on the Liberty website. There has been action on Ergun's site in that his bio has dramatically changed to now:

Ergun Caner is a Professor & Apologist at the Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary and Graduate School in Lynchburg, Virginia.

Now I find it amazing that not only is he still a professor but still claims to be an apologist. LU should be ashamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back