Fasting: advice and encouragement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
Hey folks, I'm looking for advice and encouraging quotes about fasting, anything that you found helpful.

Thank you.

j

Hey folks, I'm looking for advice and encouraging quotes about fasting, anything that you found helpful.

Thank you.

j

Pastor John Weaver has a good message on fasting available on dominionministry.com.

Westminster Confession of Faith

Chapter XXI
Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

I. The light of nature shows that there is a God, who has lordship and sovereignty over all, is good, and does good unto all, and is therefore to be feared, loved, praised, called upon, trusted in, and served, with all the heart, and with all the soul, and with all the might.[1] But the acceptable way of worshipping the true God is instituted by Himself, and so limited by His own revealed will, that He may not be worshipped according to the imaginations and devices of men, or the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representation, or any other way not prescribed in the holy Scripture.[2]

II. Religious worship is to be given to God, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost; and to Him alone;[3] not to angels, saints, or any other creature:[4] and, since the fall, not without a Mediator; nor in the mediation of any other but of Christ alone.[5]

III. Prayer, with thanksgiving, being one special part of religious worship,[6] is by God required of all men:[7] and, that it may be accepted, it is to be made in the name of the Son,[8] by the help of His Spirit,[9] according to His will,[10] with understanding, reverence, humility, fervency, faith, love and perseverance;[11] and, if vocal, in a known tongue.[12]

IV. Prayer is to be made for things lawful;[13] and for all sorts of men living, or that shall live hereafter:[14] but not for the dead,[15] nor for those of whom it may be known that they have sinned the sin unto death.[16]

V. The reading of the Scriptures with godly fear,[17] the sound preaching[18] and conscionable hearing of the Word, in obedience unto God, with understanding, faith and reverence,[19] singing of psalms with grace in the heart;[20] as also, the due administration and worthy receiving of the sacraments instituted by Christ, are all parts of the ordinary religious worship of God:[21] beside religious oaths,[22] vows,[23] solemn fastings,[24] and thanksgivings upon special occasions,[25] which are, in their several times and seasons, to be used in an holy and religious manner.[26]

Westminster Larger Catechism

Question 108: What are the duties required in the second commandment?

Answer: The duties required in the second commandment are, the receiving, observing, and keeping pure and entire, all such religious worship and ordinances as God has instituted in his Word; particularly prayer and thanksgiving in the name of Christ; the reading, preaching, and hearing of the Word; the administration and receiving of the sacraments; church government and discipline; the ministry and maintenance thereof; religious fasting; swearing by the name of God, and vowing unto him: as also the disapproving, detesting, opposing, all false worship; and, according to each one's place and calling, removing it, and all monuments of idolatry.

-----Added 2/19/2009 at 05:40:48 EST-----

As far as advice,

If you do not have health limitations, you may still want to try fasting a day only at first (say until 5pm). Drink plenty of liquids.

There are many ways to approach this, search the Scriptures and convince yourself. For me, I fast usually about a specific matter or two, and write them down.

I have not found it necessary to be immobile during a fast- you can "retreat" for the day, and that is fine, fewer distractions but I can fast during a regular workday as well.

The key is to pray, read Scripture, meditate on Scripture, and memorize Scripture frequently during the fast. When you get weak, ask God for grace. He is faithful.

If God answers your prayers, or changes your attitude (a significant part of fasting), be sure to give Him thanks.

Starting on page 83 of Henry's Scudder's A Christian's Daily Walk is a whole section on fasting that I have found extremely helpful. Here's an electronic link.

The Christian's Daily Walk - Google Book Search

Sadly, my last few times I've set aside have been interrupted by illness. I keenly miss not having had those times.

Last edited:
A Hunger for God by John Piper was excellent.

p.s. I wish I knew how to do that Amazon thing that posts the image from the book.

If you fast for longer than a few meals, pay close attention to any odd physical symptoms you are having. I have had no problem with multi day fasts. But when my husband tried to do the same thing on the second day he started sweating for what seemed like no reason and just felt like something was off. We checked his blood sugar and it was in the 70s. He's not diabetic or anything, he just can't fast for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back