Faustinus on Scripture

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTK

Puritan Board Junior
I just received this work by Johann Gerhard, On the Nature of Theology and Scripture. I think this is the first time this Lutheran's work has been translated and published. I think more of his Theological Commonplaces are slated for publication by Concordia to make his works available for English readers.

I was wondering Dr. Clark if you would be willing to take a stab at translating the last clause of Faustinus' statement below; or if you like, or would rather, offer your own translation of the whole sentence, I would be grateful. Gerhard did not include the last clause in his citation.

Faustinus (fl. 384 AD): Holy Scriptures were published for this reason: that we might direct our faith according to their sense. For translation, see Johann Gerhard, On the Nature of Theology and Scripture, trans. Richard J. Dinda (Saint Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 2006), p. 415.
Latin text: Scripturae divinae ob hoc editae sunt, ut secundum illarum sensum nostram fidem dirigamus, non ut nostros sensus illarum sacris dictionibus inseramus. See De Fide Contra Arianos, Caput Primum, §2, PL 13:39D.

Thanks,
DTK

[Edited on 9-20-2006 by DTK]

Scripturae divinae ob hoc editae sunt, ut secundum illarum sensum nostram fidem dirigamus, non ut nostros sensus illarum sacris dictionibus inseramus.

On this account, the divine Scriptures are elevated, in order that we may direct our faith according to the meaning of them, not that we may insert our own meanings into the sacred speech.

rsc

Originally posted by DTK
I just received this work by Johann Gerhard, On the Nature of Theology and Scripture. I think this is the first time this Lutheran's work has been translated and published. I think more of his Theological Commonplaces are slated for publication by Concordia to make his works available for English readers.

I was wondering Dr. Clark if you would be willing to take a stab at translating the last clause of Faustinus' statement below; or if you like, or would rather, offer your own translation of the whole sentence, I would be grateful. Gerhard did not include the last clause in his citation.

Faustinus (fl. 384 AD): Holy Scriptures were published for this reason: that we might direct our faith according to their sense. For translation, see Johann Gerhard, On the Nature of Theology and Scripture, trans. Richard J. Dinda (Saint Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 2006), p. 415.
Latin text: Scripturae divinae ob hoc editae sunt, ut secundum illarum sensum nostram fidem dirigamus, non ut nostros sensus illarum sacris dictionibus inseramus. See De Fide Contra Arianos, Caput Primum, §2, PL 13:39D.

Thanks,
DTK

[Edited on 9-20-2006 by DTK]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back