For Thological Systems Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnkid53

Inactive User
I missed the previous round of discussion on this and I have a question.
Why do you list the Dispensationalist as interpreting Scripture literally?
I know what they claim, but I've found they do not interprete literally. They delibrately ignore the clear teaching of Scriptures where it's convienient.
If we allow them to say they interpret literally, and not show them to be anything but distorters of the truth, we give them room to spread their heresy.
They do not interpret Scripture literally.
Sorry I'm not yelling. Well may be a little. That stuff make me angry because they decieve so many.:banghead:

Dispensationalists, particularly those of the Chafer/Scofield heritage, tend to be letterists rather than literalists. The Progressive Dispensationalists and some traditional Dispensationalists are literalists.

Unfortunately, we all tend to approach Scripture through colored glasses. That is how paedobaptists can find scriptural support for infant baptism while Baptists see only believer's baptism. Both interpret the scriptures literally.

Likewise, Dispensationalists are looking through dispensational spectacles and see things that aren't there.

Literal interpretation does not mean every thing is interpreted as stated. It allows for figures of speech, apocryphal language, and hyperbole. Some dispensationalists recognize this; others do not.

I do sympathize with your sentiments.

How can any system other than Covenant Theology rightly be called Theology ? ? ?

[quote:aed6da3484]
How can any system other than Covenant Theology rightly be called Theology ? ? ?
[/quote:aed6da3484]

This sentiment, perhaps written in jest, is not helpful. In the first place, theology means the study of God and is, therefore, open to multitudinous viewpoints and systems.

Each of the four groups compared consists of men and women who have been redeemed with the precious blood of Jesus Christ. Each of these systems have something to commend them and each has elements that need to be discarded or revised, including covenant theology. Covenant theologians do not have a corner on the truth or a corner on God.

Statements like this tend to close off discussion rather than engender it.

Well said, sundoulos.

This was one of my major issues with CT folks back in my latter normative dispensationalist days.

I have read "Symphonic Theology".

My point being more that without a covenant there is no theology.
All theology is "covenant" theology. All knowledge of God is "covenantal" knowledge.

Otherwise it is the doctrine of demons. Mere facts. Like "God is one".

[Edited on 4-21-2004 by Wintermute]

:banghead:

I need a bouncy pig takin' a bath.........

Like I have said before, Covenant Theology is not THE faith once for all delivered to the saints. It is a system of thought that tries to structure the faith, but it is not THE faith.

Phillip

[quote:6cf4ffe558]
Sundulous' post seemed heavily influenced by Poythress
[/quote:6cf4ffe558]

Not so. Not at all.

My post was influenced by seemingly supercilious attitudes of those who think their way of thinking is the only way. As a Reformed student in a dispensational school, I saw the same line of reasoning but reversed. I, then a Presbyterian, was called a cultist. If alienation is your aim, that is the way to do it.

If we see those who disagree with us as fellow believers, than we ought to love them as Christ loves us. At the least, we should follow the Royal Law.

THE faith is not contained in one system of theology. Systematic theology, systems built by men to undersand the Word of God, are just that, man made systems.

And if we ever dare to think that our system is the ONE, that it is 100% correct, then we have put God and His Word in a box and declared that we are able to think His thoughts and understand His ways.

The idea that any systematic is THE faith replaces the Word of God with the words of men.

The idea is offensive. We are done here.

Phillip

:closed:

[Edited on 4-21-04 by pastorway]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back