Free virus-removal, anti-spyware programs offered by Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall I really like this tool. It has automatic updates, realtime protection, and scheduled scanning which are all nice. It picked up things that ad-aware did not and provides some information on each item that it considers to be a threat.

I'm looking forward to future developments as this looks like it could be the top spyware removal program.
 
Microsoft Spyware

Does not seem to be very good, I downloaded it, ran it and it told me my computer was clear, then I ran Spybot Search and Destroy and it picked up on several spyware programs that should not be there!
 
Originally posted by just_grace
Does not seem to be very good, I downloaded it, ran it and it told me my computer was clear, then I ran Spybot Search and Destroy and it picked up on several spyware programs that should not be there!

Is the Spybot Search and Destroy a free program?

I wanted to download the microsoft one, but it is not for the Windows 98 SE.

Does anyone know of any other really good spy-ware removal programs that are free and easy to use?
 
Microsoft was thinking of charging for the final versions of this software but today they announced that it will be free for home users. :up:
 
Another freeware prog to use (a must in my opinion if you use Internet Explorer browser) is Spyware Blaster: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

It actually consists of registry entries that prevent a lot of spyware from being installed to begin with. If you want real-time protection, but don't have a lot of RAM, this is a great security solution--it protects you without actually running a program at the time. I have found that Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware find and miss the same programs. Spyware Blaster is a good second layer of defense, that might get stuff that the other 2 don't.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top