From Pilgrim's Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

AThornquist

Puritan Board Doctor
Since I have had a few days off and I am home alone I figured I would start reading Pilgrim's Progress for the first time. This is such a wonderful story! Anyway, I came across a great quote.

At this point in the story Christian and Hopeful were joined by Mr. Money-love, Mr. By end, and Mr. Hold-the-world, and the latter three asked if it was acceptable for a minister or a tradesman to use means before them to multiply their earthly possessions. The use of religion for material gain was discussed, to which Christian responds,

Neither will it out of my mind, but that that man that takes up religion for the world, will throw away religion for the world; ...

then Judas was used as an example.

This really struck me in light of the prosperity gospel. Some people are trying to use the name and power of God for their own material gain; however, their hearts are in such wicked dispositions that at any time they may abandon their religion if that were a means of material gain.

1 Timothy 6:10 - The love of money is surely the root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

Last edited:
Enjoy PP.

I really am. :)

I'm about to go read more since I've taken a break but the situation of Christian and Hopeful being captured by Giant Despair and then escaping was just amazing. Giant Despair gives them the option of killing themselves or else he will kill them himself. He essentially says that if they are caught by Giant Despair there is no reason to continue to live. (What a powerful lie that is!!!) And then the key called Promise is brought out which can unlock any door in Doubting Castle. Just...wow. This is the best allegory I have ever read.

:book2:

Last edited:
Enjoy PP.

I really am. :)

I'm about to go read more since I've taken a break but the situation of Christian and Hopeful being captured by Giant Despair and then escaping was just amazing. Giant Despair gives them the option of killing themselves or else he will kill them himself. He essentially says that if they are caught by Giant Despair there is no reason to continue to live. (What a powerful lie that is!!!) And then the key called Promise is brought out which can unlock any door in Doubting Castle. Just...wow. This is the best fiction I have ever read.

:book2:

Is it really proper to call it fiction? The Shack, which was called by some the new Pilgrim's Progress, now that's fiction!

Since I have had a few days off and I am home alone I figured I would start reading Pilgrim's Progress for the first time. This is such a wonderful story! Anyway, I came across a great quote.

At this point in the story Christian and Hopeful were joined by Mr. Money-love, Mr. By end, and Mr. Hold-the-world, and the latter three asked if it was acceptable for a minister or a tradesman to use means before them to multiply their earthly possessions. The use of religion for material gain was discussed, to which Christian responds,

Neither will it out of my mind, but that that man that takes up religion for the world, will throw away religion for the world; ...

then Judas was used as an example.

This really struck me in light of the prosperity gospel. Some people are trying to use the name and power of God for their own material gain; however, their hearts are wicked dispositions that at any time they may abandon their religion if that were a means of material gain.

1 Timothy 6:10 - The love of money is surely the root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

I have an edition of Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress with footnotes by Thomas Scott, the successor to John Newton at Olney. At the place which you noted Scott comments:

"... Upon the whole, the answer of Christian, though somewhat rough, is so apposite and conclusive, that it is sufficient to fortify every honest and attentive mind against all the arguments, which the whole tribe of time-serving professors of Christianity, ever did, or can adduce, in support of their ingenious schemes and assiduous efforts to reconcile religion with covetousness and love of the world, or to render them subservient to their seccular interests."

When you finish Pilgrim's Progress you should read Bunyans Holy War

You're right - it doesn't seem fitting to put them in the same category. :think: Okay, PP is the best allegory I've ever read (followed by Plato's Allegory of the Cave) while The Shack is fiction in league with Alice in Wonderland. If there is any story that can teach children the dangers of drugs like LSD, it is that one. Quick, everybody in church needs to get it!

-----Added 8/6/2009 at 01:24:06 EST-----

I think I have Bunyan's Holy War on e-Sword too. Is it connected with Pilgrim's Progress or is it a separate story?

Holy War is a different story. It is the story of the capture of the town of Mansoul by Diabolos, and it's retaking by King Shaddai. It's almost better than PP. I absolutely love HW--not fiction.

Sweet. I know what I am reading next then! Having these books on the internet for free is such a blessing. Praise God.

Holy War is a different story. It is the story of the capture of the town of Mansoul by Diabolos, and it's retaking by King Shaddai. It's almost better than PP. I absolutely love HW--not fiction.

Yes. Whereas PP is largely an allegory of the objective Christian experience, HW is an allegory of the subjective experience of a man's conversion and subsequent sanctification.

You're right - it doesn't seem fitting to put them in the same category. :think: Okay, PP is the best allegory I've ever read (followed by Plato's Allegory of the Cave) while The Shack is fiction in league with Alice in Wonderland. If there is any story that can teach children the dangers of drugs like LSD, it is that one. Quick, everybody in church needs to get it!

-----Added 8/6/2009 at 01:24:06 EST-----

I think I have Bunyan's Holy War on e-Sword too. Is it connected with Pilgrim's Progress or is it a separate story?

I understand what you are saying here, but there is no way The Shack is in the same league as Alice in Wonderland, given that Lewis Carroll is actually a talented author, and Alice in Wonderland is a great and worthwhile book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back