General Reading Plan for 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenderPriest

Puritan Board Junior
The puritan reading thread made me wonder what yous guys' reading plans are for the year? Do you do this? This is my first year post-college, so I'm able to asses the whole year in what I feel I can read in the direction of where I see the Lord leading me and my family. So list what you've got!
 
The Bible
Basic Bible Interpretation by Roy Zuck
The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History by Thomas Woods
Prayer by John Bunyan
Temptation of Christ by Thomas Manton
The Attributes of God by A.W. Pink
Why I am Not An Arminian by Robert Peterson and Michael Williams
Salvation Belongs to the Lord by John Frame
Philosophical Foundations For A Christian Worldview by J.P. Moreland and William Lane Craig
Always Ready by Greg Bahnsen
The Pleasures of God by John Piper
Spirit Empowered Preaching by Arturo Azurdia
The Master Plan of Evangelism by Robert Coleman
 
Last edited:
thus far the plan is...

The Bible
Thales to Dewey (Gordon Clark)
What do Presbyterians Believe? (Gordon Clark)
Too Good to be True (Michael Horton)
Each for the Other (Bryan Chapell)
The Westminster Confession of Faith
Ab Urbe Condita: Liber I (Livy)
Pro Milone (Cicero)
The Aeneid (Vergil)
The Bacchae (Euripides)
Cicero: The Man and his Times (Anthony Everitt)
Latin Prose Composition (North & Hillard)
The Greeks (H.D.F. Kitto)
Greek Society (Frank Frost)
Italian Journey (J.W. Goethe)
The Tyranny of Greece over Germany (Eliza Butler)
 
thus far the plan is...

The Bible
Thales to Dewey (Gordon Clark)
What do Presbyterians Believe? (Gordon Clark)
Too Good to be True (Michael Horton)
Each for the Other (Bryan Chapell)
The Westminster Confession of Faith
Ab Urbe Condita: Liber I (Livy)
Pro Milone (Cicero)
The Aeneid (Vergil)
The Bacchae (Euripides)
Cicero: The Man and his Times (Anthony Everitt)
Latin Prose Composition (North & Hillard)
The Greeks (H.D.F. Kitto)
Greek Society (Frank Frost)
Italian Journey (J.W. Goethe)
The Tyranny of Greece over Germany (Eliza Butler)

He also meant to add 30 other books that I have been late in processing. Sorry.
 
If I ever get time to read non textbook material, it would have to be Barnes and Noble classics! I am half way through the Brothers Karamazov, and it is just wonderful. Dostoevsky is such a great writer, and I forgot how good non-fiction could be. So yeah, lately I have been getting into classic literature and poetry. It helps ease my mind, and is a delightful break from reading Kant and Hegel, ha!
 
1. Robert Murray M'Cheyne's Bible reading plan;
2. David Dickson's Commentary on the Psalms;
3. Spurgeon's Treasury of David;
4. Works on the Psalms;
5. Works on the historical books; and,
6. Some Hebrew grammars.
 
So far this year I have read the following:

John Wing, The Crown Conjugal
William Cunningham, An Introduction to Theological Studies
M. Golverdingen, Rev. G.H. Kersten: Facets of His Life and Work
John W. Keddie, George Smeaton: Learned Theologian and Biblical Scholar
Robert M. Kingdon, Geneva and the Coming of the Wars of Religion in France (1555-1563)
James Gibson, The Public Worship of God: Its Authority and Modes, Hymns and Hymn Books
Andrés Reséndez, A Land So Strange: The Epic Journey of Cabeza de Vaca : The Extraordinary Tale of a Shipwrecked Spaniard Who Walked Across America in the Sixteenth Century
George Estey, Certain Godly And Learned Expositions Upon Divers Parts Of Scripture
William Brown, Life of John Brown
David Brown, The Life of Rabbi John Duncan
Peter Y. De Jong & Nelson D. Kloosterman, The Reformation of 1834
 
This is what I've got (and hoping to tackle) this year:

John Owen:
- Vol. 3 – Discourse on the Holy Spirit
- Vol. 10 – Display of Arminianism, The Death of Death in the Death of Christ, The Death of Christ, A Dissertation on Divine Justice
- Vol. 11 – The Doctrine of the Saints’ Perseverance Explained and Confirmed.

John Flavel
- Vol. 1 – The Fountain of Life
- Vol. 2 – The Method of Grace in the Gospel Redemption, Pneumatologia: A Treatise of the Soul of Man
- Vol. 3 – Pneumatologia continued., The Occasions…of Mental Errors.
- Vol. 4 – Divine Conduct of the Mystery of Providence

Jonathan Edwards – Freedom of the Will
William Wilberforce – Practical View of Christianity
Westminster Theological Journal
John Piper – What Jesus Demands of the World
Letters of John Calvin
Letters of John Bradford
C.S. Lewis – A Grief Observed
Henry Scougal – The Life of God in the Soul of Man (once a month)



(Other)
J.R.R. Tolkien – Children of Hurin
Books on Human Trafficking
 
For this semester and summer, not including school readings, I plan to get through:
A Biblical History of Isreal
Inspiration and Incarnation
Christianity and Western Thought Vol. 1
The Gospel and the Greeks
Emile, or on Education
Reasons {for Faith}
Reformed Orthodoxy and Philosophy, 1625-1750 by Aza Goudriaan
Cross and the Crescent by Colin Gilbert Chapman
The Canon of Scripture
Introduction to Mathematics by Whitehead
Redeeming Science by Poythress
Treatise on Regeneration by Mastricht
Exegetical Fallacies by Carson
Death of Death
Bondage of the Will
Biblical Theology by Geerhardus Vos
The Practical Calvinist by Various Authors
Romans Commentary by Charles Hodge
Reformed Dogmatics by Herman Bavinck, Volume 1
Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin, Volumes 1-2
The Doctrine of God by John Frame
The Oxford Companion to Philosophy New Edition by Ted Honderich
(A number of them are rereads)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top