Geneva Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeutter

Puritan Board Senior
I have a copy of the 1560 edition of the Geneva that University of Wisconsin Press reprinted in the 1970s. I see the 1599 edition is now back in print. What does it add that I do not have in my 1560 edition?
 
The 1560 Geneva Bible was revised once in 1576 and again in 1598/1599. Wikipedia says:

In 1576 Tomson added L'Oiseleur's notes for the Epistles, which came from Beza's 1565 and 1589/1598 Greek and Latin edition of the Bible. Beginning in 1598 Franciscus Junius' notes on Revelation were added, replacing the original notes deriving from John Bale and Heinrich Bullinger.

Thus, the 1599 version has much more extensive annotations on Revelation, in particular. The preface to my version (I used to sell the Geneva Bible on commission for the L.L. Brown Publishing Company in the early 1990's and so received a copy of the 1599 edition, republished by L.L. Brown in 1990, 3rd edition 1993) gives an example of this comparing the 1560 and 1599 notes on Rev. 11.2 and the difference is quite noticeable.

I know also that the 1560 edition includes the Apocrypha while the 1599 edition omits it (except for noting the titles of the Apocrypha).

[Edited on 6-3-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top