God can't do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
Yesterday, our family was talking about blessings that God gives us. The main blessing that I wanted to focus on was the blessing of God turning us away from our iniquities (Acts 3:25,26). We started out by talking about Genesis 22. As I started to read the beginning of Genesis 22:16, I was struck by the phrase "By myself have I sworn". I commented about the strength of this promise by saying that God cannot lie.

This comment got my oldest son's attention and he asked, "God can't lie?" ... No. Then he asked, "If God wanted to, could He lie" ... no, He couldn't. The Bible says that He cannot lie. It goes against His nature.

What a blessing it is to know that God cannot lie. A simple truth, yet so profound and powerful. I thought it would be interesting to make a list of things that the Bible says God cannot do, because of who He is.

My list is short so far:
God cannot lie (Titus 1:2)
God cannot be tempted with evil (James 1:13)

Does anybody have any ideas of things that God cannot do?

He cannot deny himself. 2 Tim 2:13

Job 34:12 Yea, of a surety, God will not do wickedly, Neither will the Almighty pervert justice.

[quote:12472ffad7]Does anybody have any ideas of things that God cannot do? [/quote:12472ffad7]
For Arminians it would be, He cannot go against His creations will.

[quote:12c39d8d04][i:12c39d8d04]Originally posted by A_Wild_Boar[/i:12c39d8d04]
[quote:12c39d8d04]Does anybody have any ideas of things that God cannot do? [/quote:12c39d8d04]
For Arminians it would be, He cannot go against His creations will. [/quote:12c39d8d04]

I know I know its not scriptural, but it doesnt stop them from preaching that.

[quote:052c3ffc93]does anyone have any ideas of things that God cannot do? [/quote:052c3ffc93]

I know I know its not scriptural, but it doesnt stop them from preaching that. [/quote]

To Forgive is to Forget

He cannot remember sins He has forgiven!

Ps 103:12; Isa 38:17, 43:25;
Jer 50:20; Heb 8:12

Phillip

Thanks for your help. Its neat to know that:

God cannot lie (Titus 1:2)
God cannot be tempted with evil (James 1:13)
God cannot deny himself. 2 Tim 2:13
God cannot remember sins He has forgiven! (Ps 103:12; Isa 38:17, 43:25; Jer 50:20; Heb 8:12)

[b:430e0eac74]SolaScriptura wrote:[/b:430e0eac74]
He cannot make a square circle. Or a married bachelor.

Wasn't sure how to characterize this... God cannot be illogical?

[b:430e0eac74]A Wild Boar wrote:[/b:430e0eac74]

Yes, that's one of those "unwritten laws" (not written in the scriptures, anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back