Godly contentment. Wise advice from Thomas Watson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
We glorify God, by being CONTENTED in that state in which Providence has placed us. We give God the glory of his wisdom, when we rest satisfied with whatever portion he carves out to us.

A good Christian argues thus: "It is God who has put me in this condition; he could have raised me higher, if he pleased—but that might have been a snare to me. He has done it in wisdom and love; therefore I will sit down satisfied with my condition." Surely this glorifies God much; God counts himself much honored by such a Christian. "Here," says God, "is one after my own heart; let me do whatever I will with him—I hear no murmuring —he is content!" This shows abundance of grace. When grace is crowning, it is not so much to be content; but when grace is conflicting with inconveniences, then to be content is a glorious thing indeed. For one to be content when he is in heaven is no wonder; but to be content under severe trials, greatly glorifies God. This man must needs bring glory to God; for he shows to all the world, that though he has little meal in his barrel, yet he has enough in God to make him content! He says, as David, "The Lord is the portion of my inheritance; the lines have fallen to me in pleasant places."

Body of Divinity [Thomas Watson]

"That's easy for Watson to say. He was a white, Christian, male, cisgender, heterosexual, Western oppressor who never suffered or was mistreated."

—Big Woke Eva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back