Good old classical music

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcrunner12

Puritan Board Freshman
I am a huge classical music fan, mostly what i listen to and my three favorite composed are J.S. Bach, Richard Wagner, and Gustav Mahler. I higly reccomend J.S. Bach's Sts. Matthew and John passions they are truly beautiful and wonderful to listen to during Holy Week and his Cantatas while Lutheran in Theology are still some of the best examples of Sacred Classical music.

Originally posted by xcrunner12
I am a huge classical music fan, mostly what i listen to and my three favorite composed are J.S. Bach, Richard Wagner, and Gustav Mahler. I higly reccomend J.S. Bach's Sts. Matthew and John passions they are truly beautiful and wonderful to listen to during Holy Week and his Cantatas while Lutheran in Theology are still some of the best examples of Sacred Classical music.

:amen: Classical music is awesome - it's nice to know another thing you and I have in common besides a Methodist background. :D

I've been looking at improving my classical collection, maybe you could give me some suggestions as to sets I should consider. I mostly have mixed "best of classical music" CDs in my collection, though there is a slight tilt towards Wagner and Tchaikovsky in it right now.

With your love of classical music, if you wanted to branch out a bit musically, you might want to check out Duke Ellington's works, as he was a tremendously prolific and impressive musician and composer who sought to write classical music for a jazz orchestra. The music is quite impressive, and many of his works transcend ordinary jazz pieces (the reworking of the Nutcracker, 'the Black, Brown and Beige' symphony, as well as numerous international suites (Far East, African, Latin American, etc...) incorporating elements of those cultures' music into the broader works.

[Edited on 6-26-2006 by Theoretical]

I'm a definite Baroque Bigot - Bach, Handel, Telemann. Not as keen on Vivaldi, though, I think he's too repetitious.

The Brandenburgs are awesome. When we lived in WA state we attended a concert that consisted of all 6 Brandenburgs by the Britt Music Festival (out of Jacksonville, OR and well-known throughout Oregon).

I also love almost anything medieval.

And I am especially fond of the Psalm tunes of the Genevan and Scottish Psalters.

Cheers,
J. Sulzmann

Yes. I also enjoy Baroque. I especially like Telemann's use of trumpets. I like Vivaldi also though. I like renaissance music too. Naxos has a series called "Early" or "Old Music." The biblical verse anthems are beautiful. Next to that, I've listened to some good Romantic music - Greig and Wagner are favorites.

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Everything except Wagner... He was literally crazy and his music is weird.

People say the same things about me, maybe that explains why I like Wagner.

Originally posted by Chad Degenhart
Originally posted by Puritanhead
Everything except Wagner... He was literally crazy and his music is weird.

People say the same things about me, maybe that explains why I like Wagner.

Maybe that's why Ludwig II of Bavaria liked him too. Stay away from deep water Chad.

As Eric can probably attest to, I like all classical music. I like to listen to it and I dont care who wrote it or who is preforming it, I just like it.

I am somewhat eclectic, too, though I find that my preferences tend to thin out over the progress of history from the medieval period. That being said, Haydn and Mozart are staples from the classical period. I also highly recommend Johann Strauss , Emile Waldteufel, and the tone poems of Leroy Anderson (20th C.).

Anyone ever hear of Leopold Mozart (father of W.A.)? I find his music especially humorous.

J. Sulzmann

Originally posted by Theoretical

I've been looking at improving my classical collection, maybe you could give me some suggestions as to sets I should consider. I mostly have mixed "best of classical music" CDs in my collection, though there is a slight tilt towards Wagner and Tchaikovsky in it right now.
start off collecting Mozart's piano concertos and Beethoven symphonies. These works are easily understandable and enjoyable and they give you good practice to warm you up for the mature works of the romantic period such as Bruckner, Mahler, Brahms and co.

Mozart wrote 27 piano concertos. You should start your collection from 15 upwards. They are very sweet and enjoyable.

Beethoven symphonies are easy to access and they are usually doubled meaning 2 per cd. You can get all of beethoven on a minimum of 5 cds.

After the Beethoven symphonies you can sample his piano concertos and violin concertos.

Not to brag but I'm a classical music junkie. Last week I purchased Brahms sextets and Chopin's cello sonata in g minor. Great listening. But I admit I wouldn't have been able to enjoy them had not Beethoven and Mozart been my foundation.

some good Mozart Piano Concerto box sets are Vladimir Ashkenazy and the Philharmonia Orchestra and if you want to hear them like Mozart did on instruments from his day go for Malcolm Bilson (i think) and John Eliot Gardiner, for Beethoven go for Herbert von Karajan's sets from the 60's and early 70's avoid the ones from the 80's like the plague and for the authentic performance i again reccomend John Eliot Gardiner ( i reccomend him for anything in the Authentic performance camp, he and Trevor Pinnonck and their respective orchestras are the best of the authentic performance group) Claudio Abbado's newest Beethoven Symphonie set with the Berliner Philharmoniker is good as well.

You also need to hear J.S. Bach for him anything by Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert is good only in the Concert/other Orchestral stuff and John Eliot Gardiner and the English Baroque Soloists for Bach's Cantatas and other Sacred Works all these you can get from amazon.com

P.S. John Eliot Gardiner has two orchestras that he founded: The English Baroque Soloists for Baroque and Classical music and the Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique for late classical and romantic era music anything by anybody that he and his orchestra perform are excellent and i higly reccomend them

You mentioned that you are leaning towards Wagner and Tchaikovsky, for Wagner's opers go for Sir Georg Solti and for Tchaikovsky go for a box set titled Karajan conducts Tchaikovsky some of the recordings in that set are not to good and you can remakes that von Karajan made and give Leonard Bernstein a try he is good with anybody

[Edited on 6-28-2006 by xcrunner12]

[Edited on 6-28-2006 by xcrunner12]

Quote:

"Well they do say that Vivaldi wrote the same Concerto 400 times "

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the quote above (or something close to it) can be attributed to Igor Stravinsky.

Originally posted by SmokingFlax
Quote:

"Well they do say that Vivaldi wrote the same Concerto 400 times "

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the quote above (or something close to it) can be attributed to Igor Stravinsky.

I couldn't think of his name when i posted that, thanks one less "anonymous" quote in my book now.

don't knock Vivaldi. He provides a good buffer for classical radio stations. e.g. If a major symphonic work is 50 minutes. They usually through in a Vivaldi concerto for 10 minutes to bring it to the top of the hour before the newscasts.

Originally posted by xcrunner12
You also need to hear J.S. Bach for him anything by Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert is good only in the Concert/other Orchestral stuff and John Eliot Gardiner and the English Baroque Soloists for Bach's Cantatas

Eric, did you mean "Concerto" in "Concert/other Orchestral"? Among my faves here at home is "Concertos for Harpsichord and Strings" (BWV 1052, 1053, 1054) and "The Concertos for 3 and 4 Harpsichords" (BWV 1065, 1064, 1063), both are directed by Trevor Pinnock on the harpsichord, both on Archiv. I am most especially fond of the latter.

I like to think that if Bach had presented some of that material to the Margrave of Brandenburg (along with the famous 6) he could well have landed the job!

Cheers,
J. Sulzmann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back