Good Ways To Serve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
So I'm looking for some tips on how we can better serve our church, and or the world we live in. In what ways have you and your family had the most spiritually rewarding service? Thank you!

Last edited:
The question is difficult to answer, since I do not know what your spiritual gifts are. My general recommendation is to assess (and have the church assess as well!) your spiritual gifts, and then find a way to use those gifts in the church. If there is no current way, then talk to the leadership about starting something that would utilize your gifts. So you might want to start by studying the Bible's teaching on spiritual gifts so that you can have an idea of some of the possibilities. Of course, one is not necessarily limited to just one gift. Furthermore, they can be developed by making proper use of the means of grace. In general, though, I'd start with the things I really like to do, and see if those things correspond to a spiritual gift.

Some I'm looking for some tips on how we can better serve our church, and or the world we live in. In what ways have you and your family had the most spiritually rewarding service? Thank you!

If I may be slightly contrarian to the majority view of most. If you are a person who does not have an ordained position within the congregation may I suggest simply allow those that are ordained to do their job, and assist them with prayer and help if they need assistance for what they are to do. We laymen are do to everything unto The Lord, and this includes making shoes for those who need them. I am simply stating this in that I am weary of the thinking that only serving the local congregation is spiritually rewarding which I see you of course recognize. :)

This is more in regards to the world we live in but, once a month my wife and I go to our local Family dollar store and create homeless packages for those in our community who are without homes. We have found this extremely rewarding and take this opportunity as a way to share the Good news of the Lord and also serve together. You may have heard of this before but some of the things we add to in our packages are:
A Bible (they sell these at our Family dollar but have heard that some do not have them)
Deodorant
Toothbrush/toothpaste
Menstrual Pads/Tampons
BandAids or First aid kit
Socks/blanket (Depending on the season)
Bottled Water
Protein bars

And most importantly: A moment of your time to let them know they are an incredible image of the Lord and how thankful you are for the opportunity to share this with them.

We used to give money but realized that we were completely unaware with how they would use it. So instead, we now use our money to buy them essentials that could help them. Usually our total comes out to around $40-$50 dollars a month for the packages, and we usually do about 4-5.

If this seems to complicated, there is always helping out at the soup kitchen or food pantry.

God Bless you

I don't know exactly what you mean by 'spiritually rewarding', but that is not a criteria on which to establish Christian service. Sure, "ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord," and "hereby do we know him, if we keep His commandments." But, most of the time the reward of service comes later, after a season of sacrifice, for 'he that comes again rejoicing, bearing his sheaves with him', must first 'goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed.'

As has been mentioned, if acts of sacrificial service are not directly presenting themselves, go to your pastors and ask their assistance.

A great aspiration!

I would say do your'e best to make disciples, and YOU can do that because you are a "saint" and the "priesthood" rests on you.

Some things for our family:
-Start a Bible study
-Frequent the same places often, get to know the workers and their names, and forge relationships
-Speak the truth in love with all you meet, be the salt... When you see something that reflects the image-of-God then highlight that and slowly bring people from unbelief to belief
-Have a neighborhood BBQ and bounce house...
-When you go to a party or event, dont bring the half eaten bag of chips and flat soda, instead bring the best food, bring the best drinks, etc
-Seek out people of peace who already resonate with you and see how to serve them. Begin to connect woith them intentionally asking them questions where there is nothing in it for you, but you may fully serve them
-Go to museums, concerts, ect and invite people!
-Have people come to your home often!
-Park play dates
-Volunteer with World Relief of refugee centers near you
-Have a bi-weekly guys night where you invite people over to listen to records, or maybe to ave a Texas Hold Em tournament, or to maybe have a BBQ tournament...
-Whatever you do do it well! That is, God has created you in His image and he is a creative God who makes things "very good", so you too reflect His image by creating things very good!

When all is said and done, do your normal current routine, but do it WITH people, invite people to be part of your family, let the way you live cause men to worship God and be thirsty for what you have. Build relationships, and be a blessings!

What sort of things where you thinking?

This is an awesome aspiration of you!

your spiritual gifts, and then find a way to use those gifts in the church
---If we all operate in our gitings within the confines of the church then how are we to get those OUTSIDE the church inside? We cant just form lil Christian ghettos and retreat from the world. We are the salt of the EARTH, we live in such a way people ask questions for the hope within us, we are to got Jerusalem, Judea, the ends of the earth...

If you are a person who does not have an ordained position within the congregation may I suggest simply allow those that are ordained to do their job, and assist them with prayer and help if they need assistance for what they are to do. We laymen are do to everything unto The Lord, and this includes making shoes for those who need them. I am simply stating this in that I am weary of the thinking that only serving the local congregation is spiritually rewarding which I see you of course recognize.
---This response saddens me. The Spirit of God lives in this man, the scripture through through teaches each person to be salt and life... Why would you even for a moment stifle what his desire is telling him to leave it to the pros? I dont want to cause controversy, but what you are saying seems far from what we are taught in Scripture and extremely unhealthy for the cause of Jesus and what He has called us to

I don't know exactly what you mean by 'spiritually rewarding',
---You dont? really? I do. he means something that is rewarding in the sense that it is right and Biblical because as we glorify Him we enjoy him and that is rewarding

To serve the church: Pick up trash, wash dishes after a meal, hold babies in the nursery. If you didn't live in Florida, you could shovel snow. Be faithful in little things, and soon someone will assign you bigger things.

You will probably find you have gifts for work that is much more celebrated. But even as you move into such work, don't completely neglect the humble acts that are obviously servant-like. I teach Bible lessons to children, and I enjoy this very much, but my most rewarding service comes from tying little shoes and zipping little jackets.

Jason, one can't say everything in one post. Of course I agree with you that our gifts are not just for the church, but also for the world.

Jason, one can't say everything in one post. Of course I agree with you that our gifts are not just for the church, but also for the world.
I wasnt biting at you, I think it has to with the fact that this very question from the OP has been the thing that I have been considering the last 6 months in a huge way, and I have come to think that we have a huge problem (thus my knee-jerk reaction with some comments on this thread) and that problem is that it appears that so many in the church seem to want to funnel all available hands on deck to come to the church rather than to go OUT and then bring people In. Yes yes if you are a lawyer then by all means offer those services to the church, but maybe even more so offer those services to those outside the church and bear a string influence for the Gospel and the goodness of the Body of our Lord Jesus. If you are a mechanic by all means help those of the family of faith but also please please go out to low income houses, find a car parked there for years, knock on the door and serve them (the Son of man come not to be served but to serve and give His life as a ransom for many). This is so so so powerful if we really think about it. Imagine that the mechanic does this withing the church then yes that would be awesome, but imagine of he now went out of the confines of the church into the world and brought the church (if you will) to them! From here the Gospel will be displayed, and the He will speak the Gospel, and then that new person could be brought to the local church to learn and grow! I just fear when pastors see a new person, fresh meat, who wants to serve its almost always serve the operations of the church (and yes we need this), but what if that pastor had a mind to SEND OUT the person, to really strategically not horde that sjill and that gift but instead end that person out to the dark world to bring light. We are ambassadors, let us not sin in our embassy all day, instead let us leave the confines of the familiar of our embassy and go out in the world and then invite them back with us New citizens!!! For the Glory of the King! Follow me brother? What do you think?

Joshua - Im unable to find your post so i will paste below:

"The apostle, writing via the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, puts the greater importance on serving those especially "who are of the household of faith," (Gal. 6). We should all -according to place, station, and capacity- do good unto others, but those who share in the heavenly city take priority."
---You will see from my previous post that I already notated that verse when i said
If you are a mechanic by all means help those of the family of faith but also please please go out to

"These actions we do that are good to others are not the Gospel."
---That is correct, that's why I said
From here the Gospel will be displayed, and the He will speak the Gospel,

"They are not showing the Gospel."
The Gospel does LOOK like something. Ask James what true religion is. Also, as mentioned earlier that when they SEE our good deeds they will worship the father. Also our VISIBLE actions will cause people to ask why we have this hope within

"They may very well be a testimony to the grace of God that He has shown us, but we should not confuse any of that with the Gospel. They may be means by which we invite unbelievers to church to hear the Gospel, but they, themselves, the Gospel are not."
--------Agreed brother. Absolutely

"The Gospel" is the "good news" of salvation (Isa. 53),
---Yes brother amen!

"proclaimed by the office-bearing, examination-passing, presbytery/session-vetted ministers of reconciliation (2 Cor. 5)"
---Am i hearing you say that the the Gospel is ONLY proclaimed by the "office-bearing, examination-passing, presbytery/session-vetted ministers of reconciliation"?

"...and the Apostle, in retrograde fashion, shows the authorized and commanded way that this goes forth: by preaching. There is no other ordinary way of salvation. Romans 10 (my comments in red):
I. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
A. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? Well, they can't (ordinarily)
B. and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? Well, they can't (ordinarily)
C. and how shall they hear without a preacher? Well, they won't (ordinarily)
D. and how shall they preach, except they be sent? Well, they shouldn't (ordinarily)
as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!"
-----Amen!

So, according to Paul:

"1. Men cannot call in whom they have not believed
2. They cannot believe in him of whom they have not heard
3. They cannot hear of him without a preacher
4. And a preacher cannot go them unless he's sent."
----Amen! And so we must be the bearers of good news! we must make disciples! We must go to the ends of the earth empowered by the Spirit! We must bear testimony! We must be salt! We must be Light! We must GO! Go out (not just in)!

So, by all means, never weary of doing good (Gal. 6; 2 Thess. 3), and that to all men (especially those of the household of faith), but please, do not confuse that as some kind of proclamation of the Gospel,
---Yes brother, yes indeed, they are not one and the same.

or that it is even authorized, much least commanded by the LORD Himself. That's not what the King ordered (Matthew 28).
---Huh?

To the OP: I believe the best way to do what you're after is to approach it differently that what seems obvious. Instead of looking for extra ways to serve, seek to do your plain duty with all your heart. Be an example to other believers of timely arrival at church, of decency and order, of ruling your household well, of keeping your heart with all diligence. Do your utmost to be the best pew-warmer you can be: give yourself to participating in the singing, attending to the prayer and the Word preached--in short, engage in the layman's duty as though it was your only goal. When you have been proved faithful in the little things, God will bring along something more.
Too many people I know say, "boy, I'd really love to have a ministry, something that would glorify God by the use of the talents He has given," but they roll into the service ten minutes late, they attend kind of sporadically, they can't be bothered to join in the singing--what service do they think will be entrusted to them if they won't do the basic minimum?
My only goal, ever, has been to simply warm a pew, but I've never done that for long before all sorts of other stuff gets shoved at me. Sure, I do it with joy, and don't often turn down an opportunity for service--but I've never gone LOOKING for it: it always seems to ferret me out.

Two of the best practical ministries in the church are spraying the church's various door handles and light switches with Lysol each week during cold season, and washing/sanitizing the toys in the nursery -- two thankless tasks which make a big difference in people being able to worship without distraction.

Just a quick thought. My family (young kiddos) is very susceptible to colds and the flu, even with annual inoculations. When someone does this, it's a blessing to the whole congregation.

I know that's not very "spiritual," but it is serving the saints...

You dont? really? I do. he means something that is rewarding in the sense that it is right and Biblical because as we glorify Him we enjoy him and that is rewarding

If indeed that is what he meant then I stand by my point. Oftentimes it is not immediately apparent how our service is glorifying God, nor do we always 'enjoy' our sacrificial service in the moment. "Who is among uou that feareth the LORD, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? Let him trust in the name of the LORD, and stay upon his God."

Oftentimes there is only darkness in our service. Oftentimes service is very unrewarding at the time. The reward comes later. The reward can be a motivation, but it cannot be a guide.

Oftentimes it is not immediately apparent how our service is glorifying God, nor do we always 'enjoy' our sacrificial service in the moment.
-Often times for me it is very much apparent that what Im doing, as He empowers me to be obedient to Him, is rewarding and "enjoyable"

"Who is among uou that feareth the LORD, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? Let him trust in the name of the LORD, and stay upon his God."
-Amen

Oftentimes there is only darkness in our service.
-True

Oftentimes service is very unrewarding at the time.
-I always find obeying Chroist even when difficult of the utmost blessedness and rewarding

The reward comes later
-There is reward even in the now. I can resonate with Jesus when he did the things he did for the joy set before him

The reward can be a motivation, but it cannot be a guide.
-Nobody said it should

Just a quick thought. My family (young kiddos) is very susceptible to colds and the flu, even with annual inoculations. When someone does this, it's a blessing to the whole congregation.
Hehehe yes! This is my wife thoughts! Not me though, Im like ready to drink poison and hold snakes and think nothings gonna happen ;)

As a young believer, I envisioned cutting through deep jungles to take the gospel to the furthest ends of the earth. But most of us are called to be faithful in three rather ordinary ways: growing a godly family, serving humbly in our local church, and pursuing excellence in our vocation. If you do these things, I believe God will use you, if you are always ready to give an answer for the hope that is within you. Do not underestimate the power of these basic roles.

I would love to share with you guys what my family and I are currently doing, but something inside of me thinks I will lose my reward in heaven for openly making it known to all.

Basically, because the Lord has saved me and done so much for me, I want my life to be a living sacrifice for Him and others. I want to make sure I am making the best use out of my life in the service of kindness and love. There is just so much need in the church and the world, and I wish to do the most good while I still have time.

Thank you so much for your great replies. Please keep them coming if more things come to you.

Lately I've been thinking of trying to do hospital ministry. I find it to be one of my gifts to be with the mourning, the suffering, and those who need gentleness and reminders of the things of eternity.

-Often times for me it is very much apparent that what Im doing, as He empowers me to be obedient to Him, is rewarding and "enjoyable"

-Amen

-True

-I always find obeying Chroist even when difficult of the utmost blessedness and rewarding

-There is reward even in the now. I can resonate with Jesus when he did the things he did for the joy set before him

-Nobody said it should

I am pretty sure we are talking past each other, but first you say, "There is reward even now," but then in response to my caution that the reward can be a motivation, but not a guide, you say, "Nobody said it should."

I know that you are NOT saying that if a Christian steps out in obedience, but does not immediately have clarity about how or what he is doing glorifies God; or does not immediately have a sense of enjoyment in that sacrificial service, that he should look at that as an indication that he should quit and try something else. However, that is what it sounds like you are saying.

If you have perfect clarity, peace, joy in each and every act of service, then you are blessed indeed. But that is not the universal experience of the saints.

"we have no might against this great company that cometh against us; neither know we what to do: but our eyes are upon thee." (2 Chron 20:12)

In the present, Job said, "Behold, I go forward, but he is not there; and backward, but I cannot perceive him: On the left hand, where he doth work, but I cannot behold him: he hideth himself on the right hand, that I cannot see him:" Then speaking of the future reward, "But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold." (Job 23:8,9)

In the present, David said, "How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me? How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me? Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death; Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved." Then speaking of the future joy and peace, "But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation. I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me." (Psalm 13:1-6)

In what ways have you and your family had the most spiritually rewarding service?

Getting up in the morning, taking a shower, having a cup of coffee with my wife, praying for help for the day, and then girding up my loins and walking out that door with fear and trembling to face the tasks of the day, praying still that I would do my job to the glory of God and according to his will.

Sometimes amazing things happen. Often I'm beaten down. I thank God that most of the time I come home thankful that God has given me something to do.

My wife has her own tasks too. She often will tell me of an opportunity she has had to encourage others and to remind them of God's sovereignty and grace. We are both blessed by the mundane.

Lately I've been thinking of trying to do hospital ministry. I find it to be one of my gifts to be with the mourning, the suffering, and those who need gentleness and reminders of the things of eternity.

This is a huge ministry opportunity, along with visiting the shut-ins and nursing home folks. Ministries of mercy are properly the domain of the deacons; but to build relationships, encourage the saints, and pray with them in their distress is a wonderful means of blessing others in the name of Christ (and frequently becomes a means of evangelizing their families).

There are 127 unreached Muslim people-groups in Indonesia. Pick one and go.

There are probably a couple of dozen unreached Muslim people groups within 20 mile of where he lives. Pick one and stay.

Lately I've been thinking of trying to do hospital ministry.

Start by going with the pastor or elders that normally do it, and get appropriate training. When our diaconate began to systematically do hospital visitation, the pastor who does much of it and a physician in our congregation gave formal training on what to do, and more importantly not do, in hospital visitation.

Last year my wife had health issues and we were afraid we'd not be able to return overseas. I began to make plans to become a hospice chaplain, to minister to the dying. I believe that is a very worthy endeavor for anyone looking to serve.

This is a huge ministry opportunity, along with visiting the shut-ins and nursing home folks. Ministries of mercy are properly the domain of the deacons; but to build relationships, encourage the saints, and pray with them in their distress is a wonderful means of blessing others in the name of Christ (and frequently becomes a means of evangelizing their families).

As one who works in a hospital for the past 30 years (I am not afraid of loosing my reward in saying this) I can say I am blessed to bring comfort and the love of Jesus to all our patients, especially to my brothers and sisters in The Lord. Also may I add, this I do is not part of an official ministry of my church, and in no way is evangelizing in the proper biblical sense. :) What is interesting is my local congregation is setting up a "ministry" for us to join to visit those in the hospital, and I am thinking to myself...Man oh man am I not doing this already, and do I have to be part of an official "ministry" to get the spiritual blessing? BTW I have the answer to what I just asked and it is no. :)

Last edited:
I would love to share with you guys what my family and I are currently doing, but something inside of me thinks I will lose my reward in heaven for openly making it known to all.

Basically, because the Lord has saved me and done so much for me, I want my life to be a living sacrifice for Him and others. I want to make sure I am making the best use out of my life in the service of kindness and love. There is just so much need in the church and the world, and I wish to do the most good while I still have time.

Thank you so much for your great replies. Please keep them coming if more things come to you.

Man, you set us up like a bowling pin! Now we will all loose our rewards in heaven for those who replied :bouncy:

Only kidding!

---Awesome! A great desire indeed! Please keep us posted. Will pray for you today that as you have this brilliant desire to serve that the Lord open up doors for you.

In the present, Job said, "Behold, I go forward, but he is not there; and backward, but I cannot perceive him: On the left hand, where he doth work, but I cannot behold him: he hideth himself on the right hand, that I cannot see him:" Then speaking of the future reward, "But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold." (Job 23:8,9)
---Indeed even Job was aware in the immediate sense that it was all worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back