Google redirect virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmckinney

Puritan Board Freshman
Whenever I click on a search result in Google it does not send me to the correct website. I get redirected. It looks like some type of malware. What can i do?

Don't use Google.

Have you run a scan on your computer? What anti-malware program are you currently running?

I will add that after I ran my scan it quarantined what looks like a trojan horse. When I click on delete it asks me if I'm sure I want to do that. If it is malicious why would it ask me if I wanted to delete it?

It's just being sure. Sometimes antimalware programs will detect a file that's not actually malware. It just wants to doublecheck before you get rid of something important.

I had this same problem right after Christmas. Malware did not work for our home computer. SUPERAntiSpyware.com has a free program that found & deleted many corrupted files and fixed my computer. I hope this helps!

I will add that after I ran my scan it quarantined what looks like a trojan horse. When I click on delete it asks me if I'm sure I want to do that. If it is malicious why would it ask me if I wanted to delete it?

Sometimes antivirus programs will detect legitimate programs and classify them as viruses. It's there for advanced users so they don't accidentally kill a good thing. :)

EDIT: Tim beat me to the punch :lol::lol:

I had this and none of the anti-virus nor malware programs worked. I went to bleepingcomputer.com and one of their volunteers walked me through a fix. It is a free service, but the individual volunteers accept donations.

Google redirect is a nasty little bugger. Very hard to remove. But these guys did it without having to resort to more extreme measures. It was really quite easy and painless, though it took a couple of days of going back and forth for it to get done.

I remember a rootkit I had to deal with once that did that. Malwarebytes detected half of it and removed it, but the other half replaced it when the computer was restarted.

Fortunately it was the kind that hid itself from the parent operating system, so I just used the command prompt to dump a directory listing into a text file and then compared that with Linux's results. Anything that Linux saw and Windows didn't was part of the rootkit and got killed.

I booted it back up and it worked. I was lucky. Some rootkits aren't that polite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back