H.C. Leupold (OT commentaries)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leupold is perhaps a little more technical than Lenski, but I have to admit I like him better. I have a complete set of Lenski, and have used him pretty faithfully for some years; but the more I used him the less I liked him. He makes lots of assertions and doesn't back them up, doesn't show why what he says is true. Which leaves one always wondering if Lenski is a sufficiently good authority to take his word for it. And when he disagrees with other commentators one is left feeling that he probably isn't.
I really liked Leupold on Ecclesiastes: on the Psalms he was OK. On Genesis I haven't used him much, but it seemed pretty good. I don't think money spent on him would be regretted; but his commentaries by themselves are not sufficient. You would have to supplement him with Matthew Henry, for instance.

Originally posted by py3ak
Leupold is perhaps a little more technical than Lenski, but I have to admit I like him better. I have a complete set of Lenski, and have used him pretty faithfully for some years; but the more I used him the less I liked him. He makes lots of assertions and doesn't back them up, doesn't show why what he says is true. Which leaves one always wondering if Lenski is a sufficiently good authority to take his word for it. And when he disagrees with other commentators one is left feeling that he probably isn't.
I really liked Leupold on Ecclesiastes: on the Psalms he was OK. On Genesis I haven't used him much, but it seemed pretty good. I don't think money spent on him would be regretted; but his commentaries by themselves are not sufficient. You would have to supplement him with Matthew Henry, for instance.

Thanks Ruben for the information, that was helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back