Hagee: Jesus Did Not Come to Earth to be Messiah

Status
Not open for further replies.

PastorSBC

Puritan Board Freshman
Crazy stuff in his new book:

[video=youtube;F0CyolAOeWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0CyolAOeWQ[/video]

That video is so sad. It does sound like Dr. Hagee is going to try and explain the Rapturist teaching of how the "Church Age" was God's plan B, only put into effect after the unforeseen rejection of Christ. I have met many in the Dispensational camp who have never been taught that their Theology teaches that Christ failed and that is why we have to finish the Church age and be Raptured before God the Father can finish his work with His true Love, Israel.

This is what I have come to understand to be the outgrowth of a lot of misconceptions about God's will revealed through His Word.

Reformed Theology brings many of the biblical doctrines together to make clear these kinds of errors. Without a systematic way of looking at the whole of Scripture, the people tend toward the personality or teaching of the individual.

Within charismatic/pentecostal church governance there is often not a sufficient mechanism for accountability or discipline. Bad doctrine like this is not checked and the church collapses without help from other churches because the charismatic/pentecostal governance is independent and does not set itself connectional or accountable to others. So it often collapses due to pressures from outside the church. Often scandal.

A few things in this teaching I could now recognize as contrary to God's Word:

1) redemption is now, always has been, and always will be through Jesus Christ
2) God expanded his redemptive community to included Jews and Gentiles in the New Testament, which was His plan (to expand) from the very beginning
3) modern day Israel is not the theocracy it was in the Old Testament. It is really a political entity, certainly existing under God's sovereignty. I understand it to be the focus of a special work of redemption, but on the basis of grace through faith in the Messiah, Jesus Christ

It is also so patently obvious Mr Hagee is wrong because the name "Christ" means Messiah! His title shows that He was proclaiming Himself the Messiah.

This shows a lack of discernment of his followers and a charismatic/pentecostal system that does not value, let alone protect basic biblical doctrine. And protecting God's Word and His church from such harm is an important function of Christ's church.

That video is so sad. It does sound like Dr. Hagee is going to try and explain the Rapturist teaching of how the "Church Age" was God's plan B, only put into effect after the unforeseen rejection of Christ. I have met many in the Dispensational camp who have never been taught that their Theology teaches that Christ failed and that is why we have to finish the Church age and be Raptured before God the Father can finish his work with His true Love, Israel.

He takes it a bit further in Jerusalem Countdown (what was I thinking when I bought that book :barfy:). He states that Romans 9-11 are non-Christian and are only written to the Jews. In the end he says there are two ways to Heaven. The Jewish way and the Christian way. The Jewish way is works, the Christian's is faith.

:rolleyes:

What a bummer. He used to be a decent preacher. Before he got on TBN and famous. I saw him when I lived in Texas. Absolute TBN corrupts absolutly!

What a bummer. He used to be a decent preacher. Before he got on TBN and famous. I saw him when I lived in Texas. Absolute TBN corrupts absolutly!

For whatever reason he has basically started worshipping Israel. Everything is pro-Israel even at the expense of sound doctrine.

Thanks for the offer Pastor Hagee, but after buying Joyce Meyers series entitled In Defense of Me, Even on Bad Hair Days I'm afraid I have no money left over to buy your book. I will say thank you, however, for giving us yet another reason why confessionalism is to be preferred over American evangelicalism or even Precious Momentsangelicalism.

I sounds crazy and it is but it is straight from Disp. teaching, the old Scofield variety. It is just that most Dispensational's don't ever mention that part of it.

I think also Hagee is intentionally being controversial in order to sell more books.

I picked up the book at Wal-Mart once to see if he was literally saying that Jesus was not the Messiah. He is not saying that. I can't remember exactly how he put it, but it was something along the lines of, "Jesus did not come to be the Messiah for Israel. This means they did not kill their Messiah. Therefore the rejection of Jesus cannot be held against them. We have to be nice to Israel."

The Jews cannot be blamed for rejecting what was not offered (a Messiah)?

Huh?

John 8:58
"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" 59At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

He said this while "in the temple area" and among "teachers of the Law and Pharisees." I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that's a fairly Jewish setting.

running greedily in the error of balaam...

That or something similar. I'm sure in the not to distant future whatever has a hold of him will come out. With Hal Lindsey it was money and sex, and Hagee's gone light years past Lindsey. It is certain that the Hagee doesn't believe the Bible teaches what he's preaching. Watch for a big fall.

Chaplainintraining
Puritanboard Freshman

He is not saying that. I can't remember exactly how he put it, but it was something along the lines of, "Jesus did not come to be the Messiah for Israel. This means they did not kill their Messiah. Therefore the rejection of Jesus cannot be held against them. We have to be nice to Israel."

I realize you are not defending this, only explaining the author's rationalizing of it for the book sales.

Who else was expecting the Messiah?

His first name Jesus, His title was "Christ" (which means Messiah).

In Matthew 16:16 Peter (Jewish) recognizes Jesus the Messiah as the Messiah (of Israel) and is commended for God revealing it to Him.

This is an absurd rationalization by this gentleman. I would like to be charitable but, more I consider this, it seems outright heresy.

The Jews cannot be blamed for rejecting what was not offered (a Messiah)?

Huh?

John 8:58
"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" 59At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

He said this while "in the temple area" and among "teachers of the Law and Pharisees." I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that's a fairly Jewish setting.

I not saying it make sense. I just stating what the book said.

Chaplainintraining
Puritanboard Freshman

He is not saying that. I can't remember exactly how he put it, but it was something along the lines of, "Jesus did not come to be the Messiah for Israel. This means they did not kill their Messiah. Therefore the rejection of Jesus cannot be held against them. We have to be nice to Israel."

I realize you are not defending this, only explaining the author's rationalizing of it for the book sales.

Who else was expecting the Messiah?

His first name Jesus, His title was "Christ" (which means Messiah).

In Matthew 16:16 Peter (Jewish) recognizes Jesus the Messiah as the Messiah (of Israel) and is commended for God revealing it to Him.

This is an absurd rationalization by this gentleman. I would like to be charitable but, more I consider this, it seems outright heresy.

I am in complete agreement. When I first saw the video a few months ago I really wanted to be charitable. I thought for sure I was missing something. In the end though, he is wrong and that is putting it mildly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back