matthew11v25
Puritan Board Sophomore
I really enjoy reading the HCSB, and I find the notes very helpful in the NET Bible (since I have not done much studying in Greek/Hebrew).
I was comparing notes and translations on Acts 16:34. I found them interesting (maybe slightly biased towards the credo position). So I wonder if the renderings below can be considered a reasonable translation of the text?
or 
(emphasis mine)
HCSB Acts 16:32-34
NET Acts 16:32-34
NET Notes on bold phrase
Thanks!
I was comparing notes and translations on Acts 16:34. I found them interesting (maybe slightly biased towards the credo position). So I wonder if the renderings below can be considered a reasonable translation of the text?
(emphasis mine)
HCSB Acts 16:32-34
32 Then they spoke the message of the Lord to him along with everyone in his house. 33 He took them the same hour of the night and washed their wounds. Right away he and all his family were baptized. 34 He brought them up into his house, set a meal before them, and rejoiced because he had believed God with his entire household.
NET Acts 16:32-34
16:32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him, along with all those who were in his house. 16:33 At that hour of the night he took them and washed their wounds; then he and all his family were baptized right away. 16:34 The jailer brought them into his house and set food before them, and he rejoiced greatly that he had come to believe in God, together with his entire household.
NET Notes on bold phrase
tn The phrase “together with his entire household” is placed at the end of the English sentence so that it refers to both the rejoicing and the belief. A formal equivalence translation would have “and he rejoiced greatly with his entire household that he had come to believe in God,” but the reference to the entire household being baptized in v. 33 presumes that all in the household believed.
Thanks!