Help me find the word I'm looking for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a single word that describes the intersection of Christian Doctrine with our daily lives?

Something like 'practical religion' but one word.

I wanted to say "Application" for some reason although it seemed like trying to fit the square peg into the round hole-not quite there

"Practical Religion" was a fine book by J.C Ryle
Amazon.com: Practical Religion: J. C. Ryle: Books

See also James 1:27
"Religion that is pure and undefiled before God,The Father,is this: to visit orphans and widows in thier affliction,and to keep oneself unstained from the world" (ESV)

"I call 'piety' that reverence joined with love of God which the knowledge of his benefits induces."

- Calvin, Institutes, Book I, Chapter II, Section I

You're looking for a blog name right? If I understand what you are after, it is one word that describes every day Christian living.
Such as "Application" or "Functional." Something that says "concerned with actual use or practice of holiness and doctrine." Maybe even "Functional Fusion"? It's hard to find just one power packed word that says everything you want it to say.

Two that come to mind are "Holy Joe" and "Practical-laity."

I know some might consider both to be "as corny as kansas in august.", but i'm tired and it's late. :lol:

I think of these choices, application seems to fit the best. If I saw that on a blog, I would immediately get that the post is going to be about applying the truths of the scriptures to our lives.

1. doctrical
2. practrine
3. theodoctritologicaline

...sorry

Hey......that rhymed!!! It even had a sense of cadence to it! Are you going to be another Isaac Watts who went aroung rhyming everything as a child? You know, I can just see his parents taking him down the hall to his bedroom when he got in trouble, as Isaac said..."here I go...time for my spanking...while they beat me silly...my God I'll be thanking." LOL!

Blessings, Manley!

I think of these choices, application seems to fit the best. If I saw that on a blog, I would immediately get that the post is going to be about applying the truths of the scriptures to our lives.

YEA! That's what I was pondering when I thought of metamorphosis. Romans 12:1-2 came to mind, "transform (metamorphosis) your mind," in contrast to conforming to the world. But I thought application sounded a bit generic, like how to put on a band-aid or filling out a job application. So I arrived at metamorphosis, considering it is an application of God's Word in a struggle for enduring change.

Good one Charles! Whenever I was unruly in my four room schoolhouse, I was sent to the hall (which served as the school library) and stood in the corner (which was the Dr. Seuss section). Needless to say, I was over exposed to Dr. Seuss.

Perhaps time will tell
that Manley was as well
so that each and every time
his words are delivered in rhyme

Perhaps a thread of all rhyme is due Bob! A chance to vent the Dr. Seuss I and others perhaps OD'd on as well as a child.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. For example, wouldn't you love to read The Institutes as a Seussian rhyme. Those of us who have suffered Seuss abuse would be uniquely able to translate the text. For example:

The original:
Our wisdom, in so far as it ought to be deemed true and solid Wisdom, consists almost entirely of two parts: the knowledge of God and of ourselves. But as these are connected together by many ties, it is not easy to determine which of the two precedes and gives birth to the other.

In Seussian text form:
Our wisdom, in so far as it ought
to be deemed true and solid Wisdom taught,
consists entirely of two parts;
the knowledge of God and of our own hearts.
But as these are connected by many ties,
it is not easy to find where the precession lies,
and which of the two gives birth to the other?
I don't know, go ask your mother.

Thanks for all your suggestions! I've settled with 'Practical Christianity', although 'Orthopraxy' was a close second.

If you're interested, you can find my blog in my sig.

Late

I know I am late and that you have already chosen a word, but a mathematical term would have been nice. A term like Vertex or even convergence. Of course, the obvious one would be intersection.

:lol: :2cents:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back