Historicism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladestunner316

Puritan Board Doctor
Does anyone subscribe to this method of eschatological interpretation?

I know francis nigel lee has some good writtings on this.

blade

I do. Jonathan Edwards also did. See his [i:da03ec3df4]History of Redemption[/i:da03ec3df4].

I'm so clueless, as usual. What is historicism and what does it have to do with eschatology? Forgive me. I'm a dumb blonde. I have yet to see somebody address the pre-wrath position, though.
Melissa

By pre-wrath I assume you are referring to a rapture of the church at the end of the tribulation just before final wrath is poured out and then the saints return with Christ to set up the Millennial Kingdom?

That is close to the Historic Premil position, but still leans to the dispensational side of things. Historic Premil says that when Christ returns we will meet Him in the air and immedaitely descend with Him as He will destroy the antichrist and establish His kingdom.

Phillip

I am a Historicist in the hermeneutical sense (as is Dr. F.N. Lee). I believe prophecy should be interpreted as being fulfilled through out history and I believe the Papacy is the antichrist. Though, the olivet discourse seems to have predicted events that transpired in the later 1st century (Preterist).

check www.swrb.com , they may have some free mp3 lectures on historicism by FN Lee. I do know they have them on their CD sets they're offering. Because I have a lot of respect for the reformers I am planning on studying historicism more in-depth. Is historicism necessarily postmillenial? Any chance I can be an amillennial preterist historicist?:D

www.historicism.com has more information although I have not browsed the site very often. (It was in "My Favorites" waiting to be reviewed along with about 60 other reformed websites!)

[quote:88b3febc57]
Is historicism necessarily postmillenial? Any chance I can be an amillennial preterist historicist?:D
[/quote:88b3febc57]

You can be an historicist and take your pick of the millennials views. Luther was an historicist amill, the Puritans were (mostly) historicist postmills, and Spurgeon was an historicst premill.

Historicism lost ground to futurism from the mid 19th century onwards because historicists couldn't seem to agree on who and what in history Revelation was talking about, and because they kept making false predictions about how history would play out.

I have a book on my shelf written by a historicist postmill in the early 20th century that claims the millennium would begin in the year 2000.

I'm a historicist... and I think one can be any millenial view and historicist with some minor changes. Read the Steve Wohlberg book...

Historicist amill here.

If I was still a betting man I would wager 10 grand (US$) ...
20 if I wasn't married!

Actually I am an hybrid historicist as I believe in a specific numbered beast (pope) not just the papacy in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back