Holy lusting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Thomas Boston, Works 2:333-334:

There are some things whereof our desire cannot be too much, as of God, Christ, grace, victory over sin; and therefore we read of a holy lusting, Gal. 5:17. The renewed part not only desires, but eagerly and greedily gapes for perfect holiness and entire victory over sin. This is holy lusting, where there is no fear of excess.

The Faith's Checkbook reading for today was on the text 'The desire of the righteous shall be granted'. It is easier for me to think in terms of desires to do this or that good thing (service in some specific form), rather than hungering and thirsting after Righteousness. I am not sure if the one is not in some measure included in the other -- yet there seems a danger for me of getting the whole scope wrong.

God is jealous for His glory and worship. It rightfully belongs to Him. Too often human jealously or envy involves our wanting of something we have no right to have. When a man flirts with my wife, I am right to be jealous and this type of jealously is not a sin, but appropriate, because I am jealous (i.e., zealously vigilant) for something that belongs to me.

My feeling has nothing to do with my being insecure about my relationship with my wife. All honor, glory, adoration, and worship belong to God and only to God—only God is worthy of these. When we give our honor, glory, adoration, and worship to something else, God is rightly jealous over our idol worship. Paul spoke of this same jealousy, that is, a consuming, single-minded pursuit of a good, in 2 Corinthians 11:2: "I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back