Hot Water Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenas

Snow Miser
I live in a very nice home that belongs to my wife's grandfather and grandmother. Long story short, they couldn't sell it so we basically pay their property taxes to live here. Anyway, I think they have the water heater adjusted so that it doesn't heat water up past a certain temperature for safety purposes (if her grandfather fell down in the shower and accidentally hit the knob it could have killed him). That temperature is pretty low. I can't get water hot enough to shave with to come out of the faucet.

My question: Is this something to do with the water heater, or the faucet?

Next question: If one or the other, how to I crank the heat up?

Generally the adjustment you are looking for will be found on the hot water heater itself. You will probably have to remove the cover(s) that protect the heating elements themselves to do this, but it is very simple and straight forward. All you'll need is a screwdriver.

For gas, turn the (usually) red dial towards the 'Hot' setting, but not all the way up. See what a little in that direction does for the temperature. If you need more then bump it a tad more. A lawyer should be able to do it. :D

hot-water-heater-dial-300x257.jpg

Last edited:
An electric WH will have two plates, one low the other high, secured with a screw. Remove those and the insulation behind them and you will see a plastic piece that can usually be bent upward enough to access the thermostat if need be, or sometimes the adjustment can be accessed through a hole in the plastic cover. On that you will see a dial with a flathead screw slot at the center and an indicator arrow. There may be degree calibrations or 'warm', 'hot', 'hotter' indications. You shouldn't adjust it much above 140 degrees, especially with a baby in the house. Scalding is a serious threat. You will need to adjust both thermostats (top and bottom). Whatever you do, don't be fooling around with the wires. It is best to go to your circuit panel box and shut off the circuit breaker for your WH before fooling with it. 220 Volts can sting a bit (no, it can KILL you). It is usually marked with a sticker or identified by number on the panel door. Turn the breaker back on when you're done.

Here's a helpful website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back