How Long Has Your Family Been in the United States (or Canada)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am fresh off the boat, I mean plane...

immigrated here in 1976. My geneology on my dad's side goes back to the 1600's, and they all lived in roughly the same area till then...

My wife is second generation, her parents having immigrated from the Netherlands, as well

My branch of the Carrolls arrived here aboard the British ship Gallatea in 1647. My ancestor, Benjamin, received a land grant in Jamestown but abandoned it pretty quickly. I don't know why. He, his brother, and their families moved shortly thereafter to Salem, MA, of all places...

During the Witch Trials, one of my aunts, Hannah Carroll was accused, tried, and acquited of being a witch. Right after the trials the entire clan relocated to Washington County in Vermont where they remained until the Civil War. In the aftermath of the War, my GG Grandfather caught the "westward ho!" bug, and moved to Iowa, where they remained for the next four generations. I'm from all over. :)

TMI, I know.

What's with all the Finnish blood here? It seems rather over represented.

Hey, my great grandmother, Sivia, came over from Finland....got a problem with that? :lol: She was quite a woman, that one. Great sense of humour and fun loving. I remember her best for her red raspberry floats :D

I thought Finnish had something to do with ichthyoids. There's something fishy going on here...

Theognome

My branch of the Carrolls arrived here aboard the British ship Gallatea in 1647. My ancestor, Benjamin, received a land grant in Jamestown but abandoned it pretty quickly. I don't know why. He, his brother, and their families moved shortly thereafter to Salem, MA, of all places...

During the Witch Trials, one of my aunts, Hannah Carroll was accused, tried, and acquited of being a witch. Right after the trials the entire clan relocated to Washington County in Vermont where they remained until the Civil War. In the aftermath of the War, my GG Grandfather caught the "westward ho!" bug, and moved to Iowa, where they remained for the next four generations. I'm from all over. :)

TMI, I know.

Beg to disagree, Rev. Carroll, re: TMI. That's fascinating. Do you know much more about them? Sounds as though a book might be in order...

Margaret

Thanks, Margaret. There is a good deal more. I have been doing heavy duty genealogical research for about two years. I hope to publish a Carroll family history, if for no one other than the family.

I have also discovered that Charles Carroll of Carrollton (signed the Declaration of Independence) and Daniel Carroll (signed the Constitution) are my first cousins, nine times removed.

LeGrand's 1700 from Britian to Virginia.

Pierre LeGrand, his wife and 5 children came in the ship Peter and Anthony.

(The LeGrands spent some time in Holland as well.)

I forget the dates, but my family heritage in a nutshell is:

Dad's side: Scottish, as far back as we could find. John Robinson was on board the Mayflower...he married a Scottish bar maid. My clan is Gunn, dating back to the viking Sweyn Asleifsson. We're about as northern as you can get, with family roots in the Orkney Islands.

Mum's side: Scottish. Her clan is Wallace, yes, that Wallace =) We're not sure when her family came to America.

I have never set foot in Scotland. A fact that bothers me to no end, there are times I think I have never really been home!

Freedom!
-Anne
("Annie")

I don't quite know when we all came over on my dad's side: I know that on my mom's side I have some Jewish ancestry through my grandfather, and that within recent history they were in Europe: I was long ago told by my mom's grandmother that one of her ancestor's (but alas I don't remember what nationality? I think French) properties served as a headquarters for Napoleon on one of his campaigns.

Ruben's family were it seems German, and settled in Pennsylvania. They seem to have been Lutherans but he had relative, Rev. Rufus Calvin Zartman, who appears to have been a Dutch reformed minister and who authored several books, one on heaven and a book on the Zartman family history which I only found online typing this up (it seems one can read a sermon by him, preached at the second family reunion August 1909, p 412: The Zartman Family - Google Book Search) I don't know when the reformed part dropped out of R's heritage but his dad grew up in Brethren groups, and who knows what before that: Ruben was the first of his known family to 'return' to the reformed faith (now several other members of his family are 'almost reformed' :). Here is an excerpt from the family history:

When our ancestor in 1728 in Philadelphia took the oath of allegiance toKing George the Second he signed his name in German as Alexander Zartmann. When he purchased 179 acres of land in Lancaster COunty, Pennsylvania, Thomas Penn and Richard Penn gave him a deed in which they wrote his name eight times in English as Zartman.

And another, from this webpage about a Lutheran church's history: Pennsylvania Dutch History, Genealogy and Culture

Since Zartman was an important personage in the founding of Emanuel, it behooves us to become more acquainted with him. He and his wife, Ann Catharina Zartman, and son Jacob, aged five, came to America from the province of Wuertemberg, Germany, in the Summer of A. D. 1728. They made their way down the Rhine river to Rotterdam and from there on June 22, 1728 sailed for America, arriving at the Port of Philadelphia on August 31, 1728. While they were at sea, a child was born and the parents wanted him to be baptized. Zartman was asked to perform the sacrament and he recorded the act in the record of the Muddy Creek Lutheran Church. The event is mentioned because it reveals the outstanding character and spiritual quality of our charter member. He became a citizen on September 4, 1728.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back