Hurricane Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin.carroll

Puritan Board Junior
Hi, guys.

Hurricane Dennis is coming right at us. There are already hurricane warnings up a scant 75 miles south and east of us. The eye is expected to track right over us sometime Monday night with but we are forecast to start feeling it tomorrow afternoon. Flooding, tonadoes, structural damage, yyy, are all possible.

That said, we only have a little over 24 hours to prepare. I am going to be very busy. Not only do we need to batten down the hatches, but it appears we may need to open our Fellowhip Hall as a Red Cross shelter (we did this during Ivan), cancel Sunday night services, and possibly VBS as well.

Please keep us in your prayers. I don't know how much time I will be able to be online between now and Wednesday, but if I get a chance to give you an update, I will.

Right there with you. Try living down here on the coast. It's been chaos for 36 hours now.

From an AP news report:

Dennis' expected landfall on Sunday would be the earliest a Category 4 hurricane has hit the United States since Hurricane Audrey struck the Louisiana and Texas coasts in June 1957, according to the National Hurricane Center.

"I think there is a legitimate feeling, 'Why me? What did I do wrong?'" Florida Gov. Jeb Bush said.

How did Jackson fair? I'm still in Seattle. Just need to know if my house is still there :) From the news it looks like there wasn't too much in Jackson.

We are fine. Dennis was 'hurricane light'; even the strike area Pensacola / Navarre faired well when compared to the normal CAt 2,3 strike. Dennis fell apart very quickly. Its feeder bands were very dry as well. The core of the storm was small - the eye was only about ten miles wide, that is tiny. Hurricane force winds, 74 mph or more, were only about 75 miles in diameter. That is a tight puny hurricane, if you can call any 'cane puny.

We had our lights flicker once, never lost power. In reality the inland areas got more of a serious storm than we did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back