Hymn writing: a proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

timfost

Puritan Board Senior
***Moderators, please move this to a different forum if you see fit.***

Dear all,

I am a musician and spent a lot of time in college working on choral writing. It hit me yesterday when I was writing an SATB arrangement of a university Alma Mater that it would be wonderful to write new hymns for the glory of God and the good of the church.

Problem is, I'm not much of a poet...

1. If you can write or have written religious poems that might be suitable for hymns and desire to share, please reply to this post or PM me.

2. Also, if you are a musician, please join me in writing melodies!*

I have no intentions for publishing or trying to sell anything that we create.

I know that hymn singing in the context of worship is somewhat controversial with many members on PB. However, as I understand it, this is only in the context of worship. To my knowledge, the problem does not exist with song outside of worship. So even if your convictions are for EP, please don't hesitate to send along your writings.

Thank you!

*I use Sibelius music writing software. If you use Finale or any other program, please send music as a PDF.

Why not? Not sure if the great hymn writers needed monetary incentives to make it worth their while. :)

A few years ago i was writing lullaby songs from Scripture for Moms to sing to their children. I had a friend who put some music to a few of them and then he just quit doing it so I quit writing them. I don't even know where those songs are today....I had them on CD but they're gone now. It was a treat to write them and make them rhyme and I loved knowing that they could sing Scriptural songs to their babies
.....but in the end it went no where.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back