I am starting to really enjoy Piper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
You know I listened to some of his older sermons online, and was not too impressed, then I started to listen to stuff as he began to mature as a Pastor. I mean, I don't agre with him on all positions, Baptism in particular, but I sort of look past that, and he has a lot of good stuff to say, and it is not fluff, he does not sugar coat his message, he preaches the Bible. I respect that. I am thinking about getting one of his books.

Piper has said that if you've read "Desiring God" there is almost no need to read his other books as they all are refrains of this work.

Piper has said that if you've read "Desiring God" there is almost no need to read his other books as they all are refrains of this work.
Interesting.....if I had been his publihing agent I would have slapped him silly.......but it is nice to know I just need one book!:)

It was "Desiring God" that started me on the path to Reformed theology. That & Sproul's "Grace Unknown" but Desiring God showed the applicability of it to different aspects of life. I love his stuff & I get his cd's every month as I'm a partner in his ministry. More power to him. :book2:

And that is the truth too.

It is true, somewhat. Desiring God is like a prolegomena to Piper. It gives a basic understanding of his catch-phrase "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him." It introduces God's pleasure in Himself, God's pleasure in His plan, and God's pleasure in us being pleased in Him.

Other Piper books, such as, The Pleasures of God and Future Grace go more in-depth theologically, while books such as A Hunger for God (which deals with fasting), Let the Nations Be Glad (which deals with missions and evangelism), and When I Don't Desire God (which deals with ups and downs of progressive sanctification) are more practical in nature. He also has excellent biographies, a good thesis-style handling of Romans 9, and very good devotionals.

And that is the truth too.

It is true, somewhat. Desiring God is like a prolegomena to Piper. It gives a basic understanding of his catch-phrase "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him." It introduces God's pleasure in Himself, God's pleasure in His plan, and God's pleasure in us being pleased in Him.

Other Piper books, such as, The Pleasures of God and Future Grace go more in-depth theologically, while books such as A Hunger for God (which deals with fasting), Let the Nations Be Glad (which deals with missions and evangelism), and When I Don't Desire God (which deals with ups and downs of progressive sanctification) are more practical in nature. He also has excellent biographies, a good thesis-style handling of Romans 9, and very good devotionals.

Sorry, meant to stress that Piper often repeats himself greatly in all of his books, which is fine in and of itself, but once you read Desiring God you will find a lot of the other books with the same sections, per se, as DG.

Actually, I thought his extremely short, mini-size book, The Dangerous Duty of Delight, did an even better job at setting forth the mindset of Christian Hedonism. It certainly convinced me of certain aspects of his basic thesis even where Desiring God would not have.

Also, his biographical pieces, which Pastor Mixer mentioned, are some of my favorite works of his, particularly The Legacy of Sovereign Joy (God's Triumphant Grace in the Lives of Augustine, Luther, and Calvin) and Contending for Our All (Defending Truth and Treasuring Christ in the Lives of Athanasius, John Owen, and J. Gresham Machen).

The Pleasures of God is much better than Desiring God, In my humble opinion. If I remembered correctly, he mentioned in his interview by Mark Dever that in general, more mature Christian tend to appreciate the Pleasures of God. And I thought to myself, why of course, I am a mature Christian (kidding).

He does repeat himself alot, but there are couple of books that do not share a lot of overlapping area and are up there with Desiring God: Brothers we are not professional, the supremacy of God in preaching are both excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back