Idaho potatoes etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerset

Puritan Board Junior
Posting this on behalf of my mother. When she was stationed in Bermuda (1955 - 57) she bought potatoes from the local shop. Each year, she can't remember what time of year, she was asked if she wanted the Idaho potatoes - which were only available for a short time. She said they were good,big potatoes. On reflection, she thinks they must have been baking potatoes. 1950's British housewives had a variety of ways of cooking potatoes - all of which started with peeling and cutting up large ones. Potatoes cooked in their skins were only done once a year - children put them at the bottom of the Guy Fawkes bonfire - the high heat and short cooking time resulted in something burnt on the outside and raw inside.

My mother's questions - are Idaho potatoes still seen as special? Do they only have a short season, seems unlikely as they appeared to be maincrop.

The other question is about USA apples - are they all "huge and taste of cotton wool" (not my words!). Mother was pregnant whilst in Bermuda and had a craving for a crunchy apple - but none were available. I think her attitude to the USA was largely based on these apples - rather than any foreign or domestic policies you have had.
 
You can get good idaho potatoes year round and they are great, depending on how you cook them and like them (baked, fried, mashed, twice-baked, etc.). Other potatoes grown are just as good...just depends on the type. Sweet potatoes are healthier and taste great as well.

You can get apples here year round as well, and it really depends on the type of apple you are looking for and want. If you find a particular type(s) that you like, you can get them year round. I'd say most apples are pretty tasty year round that you can buy (same with potatoes).
 
I agree about sweet potatoes - one of the five healthiest veg I can think of. But British housewives in the 1950's would never have seen one in a normal fruit and veg shop - think it was 1970's before they stopped being seen as exclusively an "ethnic" food.
 
Is cotton wool a bad description? Or just a funny English one, but pleasant?

And yes, I think I could buy Idaho potatoes everyday if I wanted. They're best mashed with butter, garlic, and cheddar cheese, in my opinion. OR turned into fresh french fries.
 
When I was just a young kid my mother would send me to the store to buy 4 or 5 nice sized Idaho potatoes. I wondered what a 'nice sized' potato would be. Guess I got the right ones as we all really enjoyed them and I got to mash them as well!
 
Like "cotton wool" I would take to mean mealy. And yes, there are some apples that have that taste and texture, though many varieties are sweet and just-right crunchy.
 
Like "cotton wool" I would take to mean mealy. And yes, there are some apples that have that taste and texture, though many varieties are sweet and just-right crunchy.

Oh I misread the OP and thought the potatoes tasted like cotton wool and thought these were also the object of good memories. I get it now : )
 
99% off topic, but I should buy some cotton balls one day. Can't be an authentic British mummy without it.

Virginia has good apples.
 
Do you not use the expression "cotton wool" in the USA? I try to translate my posts - but I may have slipped up here.
 
99% off topic, but I should buy some cotton balls one day. Can't be an authentic British mummy without it.

Virginia has good apples.
Have you been to Carter Mountain Apple Orchard?

Do you not use the expression "cotton wool" in the USA? I try to translate my posts - but I may have slipped up here.
No. I was picturing cotton balls, but I mistakenly thought you were speaking of them favorably, so then I was thinking of, well, I couldn't figure it out.: )
 
The apples we've liked best are available around Thanksgiving here -- huge and wonderful -- just tangy and sweet and crunchy enough -- and a very pretty color: 'Honeycrisp'. I am afraid of branching out with other kinds because I know exactly what you mean by 'cotton wool'; and I can never remember which kinds have tasted like that to me (and more than a couple have).

Here is a website with frequently asked questions about Idaho potatoes: Idaho Potato Commission - Education - FAQs

PS. & here is a website about honeycrisp apples! http://www.honeycrisp.org/about.htm
 
Last edited:
I think what we call cotton wool you call cotton balls.

Heidi - many thanks for the links. The "what is the difference between an Idaho potato and a russet" gave me some innocent amusement as over here russet only refers to an apple of a russet colour.
 
We use Idaho potatoes for everything, but my wife prefers to use them only for baking (she likes red potatoes for other uses). We wash them, punch a few holes in them, and stick them in the oven for an hour or so. Most restaurants will just microwave them, but I find they don't taste nearly as good. I eat them skin and all with butter, fresh chives, and salt and pepper.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top