If you could only have 1 book of the bible which would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's easy. I would say revelation because I still haven't figured that one out yet.

Concordance:) Hey, if I had enough time I could systematically paste the whole Bible together again through it (if it is exhaustive):graduate:

I once heard RC Sproul say that if he had to choose, he would choose Hebrews since he already knows Romans like the back of his hand.

I just wasted too much time thinking about this. I guess if I eventually made up my mind it would be the NT book that best summarized the whole counsel of God...i.e. mini Bible.

AArrgggghhh! What an agonizing question!! That's like asking me to choose which one of my sons would live and the rest die. I lean towards certain books as my possible answer, like Romans, John, Hebrews, Ephesians, Galatians, 1Peter, and I find myself wanting to list them all. I cannot carve up God's Word like this. I want ot say "ALL OR NONE", but then I still would appreciate one book over none....So, I'm with Josh...I'll let God providentially choose for me if ever such a trial comes my way....I'm going to go and lie down now....:surrender:

Good stuff folks! I apologise to those of you have been caused to suffer over this question!

I'm curious about those of you who pick genesis. Why Genesis?

I pick the N.T over the O.T because it reveals Christ specifically. I pick an epistle over a gospel because it explains the gospel events more clearly. I choose Romans over them all because it spells out the gospel in a crystal clear argument.

Good stuff folks! I apologise to those of you have been caused to suffer over this question!

I'm curious about those of you who pick genesis. Why Genesis?

I pick the N.T over the O.T because it reveals Christ specifically. I pick an epistle over a gospel because it explains the gospel events more clearly. I choose Romans over them all because it spells out the gospel in a crystal clear argument.

Good line of reasoning...I agree.

I would choose Romans for it is the greatest systematic presentation of the Bible ever written. But closely following would have to be the Book of Saint John's Gospel.

Jeremiah: if I were reduced to one book of Scripture I would have much cause to lament, and what better company than the prophet who wished that his head were waters and his eyes a fountain of tears?

The Gospel of John would be my choice but I think Hebrew is an intriguing choice. It's a very dense book.

Jude, since it's so small. At least then I wouldn't feel like such a butt-head for neglecting to know the amount of Scripture that I should.

...but really I'd choose Romans. I can't read a paragraph without verbally or at least mentally saying, "Wow. That is amazing!"

I know why all of these Calvinists pick Romans.

Some argue that Calvin followed Melanchthon in organizing his Institutes after the Luther sidekick's Romans commentary: Book 1 - Knowledge of God; Book 2 - Knowledge of the Redeemer; Book 3 - Holy Spirit; Book 4 -all that practical stuff about the civil magistrate, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back