Is every Christian called to be a prophet, priest, and king?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Puritan Board Senior
I have recently heard it claimed that every Christian is to be a prophet, priest, and king.

In particular, here are some brief quotes from a course introduction at Covenant College (no author is given).

Initially, this is posited as a goal of the class:

"As part of your Christian responsibility in your roles of Prophet, Priest, and King, we want to better equip you to exercise a "prophetic judgment" in response to cultural expressions about us."

Later, this explanation is offered.

"As image bearers of Jesus Christ we are to reflect in our human conduct his roles as Prophet, Priest, and King. As Priests we mediate the grace and truth of God to others; as Kings we exercise a proper dominion over the area of life that God calls us to."

The explanation of the role of prophet is given a paragraph's space, but the core of this is that "the prophetic role calls for the critique of cultural expressions in determining whether they are compatible with God's truth and design for things, or whether they are antithetical, or against it."

My goal is not necessarily to interact with this specific reckoning of the idea; I have heard the idea from other people as well recently. My basic question is whether or not we are called in Scripture to imitate Christ's roles of Prophet, Priest, and King or simply to worship him for these attributes. In particular, in what sense is each Christian called to be a King and a Prophet? (I would not have any objections to Priest because we are indeed called a "royal priesthood" in the words of Scripture).

This is also not part of any essay or coursework. I am simply trying to collect my own thoughts.

Heidelberg Catechism Q&A 32
Q. Why are you called a Christian?

A. Because I am a member of Christ by faith[1] and thus share in His anointing,[2] so that I may as prophet confess His Name,[3] as priest present myself a living sacrifice of thankfulness to Him,[4] and as king fight with a free and good conscience against sin and the devil in this life,[5] and hereafter reign with Him eternally over all creatures.[6]
[1] 1Cor.12:12-27. [2] Jol.2:28 (Act.2:17); 1Jn.2:27. [3] Mt.10:32; Rom.10:9-10; Heb.13:15. [4] Rom.12:1; 1Pet.2:5-9. [5] Gal.5:16-17; Eph.6:11; 1Tim.1:18-19. [6] Mt.25:34; 2Tim.2:12.

(Not any implied endorsement of the particular claims made by the person/course quoted in the OP.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back