Calvin - a prophet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked again at Calvin's Institutes, Book 4, Chapter 1, Section 5. I see there Calvin speaking of the primacy of preaching God's Word.

As near as I can tell, that section summarizes Calvin's view of the prophetic office in our time: The preacher speaks God's words when he exposits Scripture. Nothing more.

I've read not a few of his letters and other minor works. I have never gotten the impression that he thought his own writings were remotely equivalent to Scripture.

A true prophet undoubtedly speaks the truth, but speaking the truth does not make one a prophet. The author might be asked, Do you speak the truth in your portrait of Calvin? If he answers, Yes, then he makes himself guilty of the same thing with which he charges Calvin. If he says, No, then he himself has testified that his book is historically worthless.

It is like a man from another planet peering through a church window who sees Calvin addressing the church from a high and elevated position, but being unable to make out what Calvin is saying, he can only report back to his planet that "he is some kind of prophet."

The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God:
for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them,
because they are spiritually discerned.
--I Cor. 2:14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back