Is it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
Sometimes its nice to have music playing in the background when you work around the house. Your focus is on the work, but from time to time you focus on and pay special attention to the music, maybe when a favorite song comes on. Sometimes people like to have the TV playing as they go about their daily chores, not paying much attention to it, perhaps it just keeps them company.

Sometimes as I work around the house, I've wanted to have the scriptures playing while I'm working (similar to the music or the TV). I've tried it, but then I've felt not quite right about it when my focus on the work returns to focusing on the scriptures. On the one hand, if you're going to have something playing in the background, hearing the scriptures would definitely be much more beneficial than TV or music. On the other hand, the scriptures deserve our undivided attention.

Is it wrong to have the scriptures 'playing in the background' while we work around the house?

I often do the same while driving. I always listen to preaching in the morning while fixing my breakfast and while getting ready for work. I do not see how that could be harmful. I believe it sets a good atmosphere in the home. :2cents:

It can be harmful, per se, when listening to sermons, etc. in the car. I have been many miles off course whilst enthralled in a sermon, etc. Sad thing is that it happens sometimes when I am on my way to work. A trek that I make often.

I often do the same while driving. I always listen to preaching in the morning while fixing my breakfast and while getting ready for work. I do not see how that could be harmful. I believe it sets a good atmosphere in the home. :2cents:
I agree its not harmful. I guess I'm focusing on the lack of focus while the scriptures are being played. When we're at church we pay close attention to the scriptures when they're read. They are worthy of our undivided attention as they draw our focus to the creator of the universe. To be paying attention to the things of the world or what's been going on in our daily life during the scripture reading would be wrong. I'm wondering if it should be any different when we're outside of church.

Bob, you said: "On the other hand, the scriptures deserve our undivided attention."

There is a time for a daily, single minded devotion to the Word, however, in the rest of the day that would be impossible though we should always maintain an awareness of the Word.

It would be similar to Paul's statement that he prayed without ceasing. Obviously he was occupied with other things yet in his subconscious he was always aware that God's providence was being carried out and that God's name is kept holy in his words and deeds.

Scripture deserves our undivided attention at times but our subconscious deserves scripture all the time. How many times has there been a song playing in the background that you weren't really listening to but then found yourself singing it the rest of the day. This happens with scripture. You will 'hear' more than you think.

Furthermore, let's take it from a spiritual warfare point of view. Scripture being read in the background is also being read in the presence of the demonic. Scripture truth drives the demons crazy. They hate it, they don't like being around it.

I would encourage you to have scripture playing in the background. Consider Deuteronomy 11, it seems to me that from this passage it's implied that there cannot be too much exposure to scripture.

Deuteronomy 11:18 “You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 19 You shall teach them to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 20 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates, 21 that your days and the days of your children may be multiplied in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers to give them, as long as the heavens are above the earth.

It can be harmful, per se, when listening to sermons, etc. in the car. I have been many miles off course whilst enthralled in a sermon, etc. Sad thing is that it happens sometimes when I am on my way to work. A trek that I make often.
:lol:

Bob,
Thanks for your post/advice. Sorry it took so long to respond, but after I read it I got back to work, started listening to the scriptures...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back