Is kneeling permitted in worship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Catholic Church had never advanced the false beliefs associated with the Mass, would kneeling be permitted? I.e., is this prohibition against kneeling based on historical outworkings of providence or on a universal moral principle?
 
Chris,

Yes, that is what I am not understanding.

I see the reasoning behind a stance against a long-standing Catholic error and think it wise not to look Popish to those acquainted with the Catholic Church and its errors.

But I cannot see anything immoral per se about kneeling in prayer or in corproate worship, since I don't see postures commanded or forbidden anywhere in scripture.

Where are particular postures either commanded or forbidden in Scripture? Wouldn't this be a circumstance of worship rather than an element?

Ps. 95:6 says “Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our maker.”









Kneeling is the most commonly mentioned posture for prayer in the Bible, and there are three ways by which the Bible refers to it, three different Hebrew phrases or terms.

II Chron. 6:13 Solomon kneeling for dedicatory prayer at the Temple dedication.
I Kings 19:18 all the knees that have not bowed to Baal
Isa. 45:23 ‘every knee shall bow before me as in Phil 2:10; Romans 14:11
Ezra 9:5 Ezra kneeling for a public prayer of penitence and confession
II Chron. 7:3 all Israel knelt before God
2 Chron. 29:29 King Hezekiah and al with him knelt in worship before the Lord
Another word means ‘prostrate oneself’ though this may be simply another form of kneeling
I Chron 29:20 “all Israel prostrated itself before the Lord
Neh. 8:6 “Ezra and all the people bowed down and worshipped the Lord with faces to the ground’
And so of prayer in the Psalter: 5:7; 132:7; 138:2

In the NT similarly, kneeling is found frequently noted as posture

Luke 22:41 Jesus in Gethsemane
Acts 7:60 Stephen
Acts 20:36 Paul and the Ephesian elders
Acts 21:5 Paul with the Church at Joppa

Did Gillespie interact with these verses? Or were his arguments primarily centered on how "papish" kneeling looked?

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 AM ----------

I also found these quotes and I am trying to determine their authenticity:



The inward attitude certainly holds first place in prayer, but outward signs, kneeling, uncovering the head, lifting up the hands, have a twofold use. The first is that we may employ all our members for the glory and worship of God; secondly, that we are, so to speak, jolted out of our laziness by this help. There is also a third use in solemn and public prayer, because in this way the sons of God profess their piety, and they inflame each other with reverence of God. But just as the lifting up of the hands is a symbol of confidence and longing, so in order to show our humility, we fall down on our knees. (John Calvin, Commentary on Acts 20:36)

Let us take, for example, kneeling when solemn prayers are being said. The question is whether it is a human tradition, which any man may lawfully repudiate or neglect. I say that it is human, as it is also divine. It is of God in so far as it is a part of that decorum whose care and observance the apostle has commended to us. But it is of men in so far as it specifically designates what had in general been suggested rather than explicitly stated. (John Calvin, Institutes, IV.10.30)

and


...nothing prohibits a man who cannot bend his knees because of disease from standing to pray. (John Calvin, Institutes, IV.10.31)


Would Calvin and Gillespie have disagreed on this issue; or where they addressing different points?

---------- Post added at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 AM ----------

As for bodily gestures customarily observed in praying, such as kneeling and uncovering the head, they are exercises whereby we try to rise to a greater reverence for God. (John Calvin, Institutes, III.20.33)

Was this an issue where the reformers were split, or was their an unanimous verdict with only a few dissenters?

---------- Post added at 03:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 AM ----------

Regarding prayer, sitting seems the least proved from Scripture as a recommended posture. Although, while I have eaten standing up, it does seem that kneeling or standing to eat a supper is unusual.
 
Why not check Gillespie out? I've already given the basic argument which stood between him and the Anglicans above somewhere. He makes his case in the PDF I'm making available. As to the verses, we have the record of the institution of the Lord's Supper and the posture used. I see no case to vary from it. Yet assume the case posture is merely is circumstantial, more the reason to avoid kneeling per rules governing things indifferent (supposedly) and the rule I've noted out of Gillespie on dealing with monuments of idolatry.
 
We should be content to stop at God's prescriptions and patterns. Otherwise we are free to take communion standing on our head if it were possible. If that sounds impious, why is it not impious to take it kneeling which sorts us with idolaters as the Puritans would say? What I'm saying is hardly novel.

Here's Ridgley briefly on the subject:
A body of divinity: wherein the ... - Thomas Ridgley - Google Books

Here is Philip Henry's objections to kneeling at the Lord's supper (Matthew's daddy):
The life of the Rev. Philip Henry, A ... - Matthew Henry - Google Books

Knox/Hopper on the subject.
Southern Presbyterian review - Google Books

Thomas Shepherd (from his life)
The works of Thomas Shepard: first ... - Thomas Shepard - Google Books

I'm not sure if anyone more recent goes into this as minutely as George Gillespie or not. He puts the question of actual idolatry within these bounds (which he then follows with arguments, in his popish ceremonies part 3 chapter 4):

§7. The question about the idolatry of kneeling between them and us stands in this: “Whether kneeling, at the instant of receiving the sacrament, before the consecrated bread and wine, purposely placed in our sight in the act of kneeling as signs standing in Christ’s stead, before which we, the receivers, are to exhibit outwardly religious adoration, be formally idolatry or not?”
​


If anyone seriously wants to dive into this question with Gillespie I will offer my new version of that section (about 30 pages) which is more easily followed I think than the 19th century version online. To big to post and you will need to agree to use it for private use only as I intend publication in early 2013. Private message me if interested in the PDF.

I'm sorry that my interaction on this is so spotty, but this is really all I have time for. Perhaps some of our other defenders of Puritanism can step in if these resources are not enough?

I agree with you Chris. To kneel as the Romanist idolaters is to recognize that the bread has the carnal presence of Christ as the Lutherans also do. As Reformed Protestants we should remember that the Lord is present spiritually in communion and the bread and wine are sacramental signs to remind us of the sacrifice of Christ and the last supper which was meal. We receive and eat and drink the wine for spiritual nourishment of our souls. We receive the bread as such the body and blood of Christ are truly communicated because the bread and wine are sacramental signs by which he true communion not to be perishable food for the body but nourishment and food for eternal life , our soul. Thus the real presence of Christ is affirmed yet any carnal or local notion of presence be it Roman catholic or Lutheran is denied. I deny the roman catholic and Lutheran view and kneeling would send the message that we recognize the carnal presence of Christ which we do not …it is idolatry.
 
English Popish Ceremonies: Historical Introduction by Roy Middleton | Naphtali Press

A dispute against the English popish ceremonies, obtruded upon the Church of Scotland : Gillespie, George, 1613-1648 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Here is where I accessed this book. I have not read all of it. Some parts are heavy plodding. The portion on the dedication of buildings, etc, was interesting, though.


The phrase that is repeated over and over is "Popish ceremonies." I.e., the argument seems to turn upon the inappropriateness of an action due to past idolatries associated with this action (by Rome).

Where is kneeling addressed? Can you help me find the chapter: Part 7: Popish Ceremonies are Proved to be Idolatrous Because They are Formally Idols Themselves (EPC 3.4.1-3.4.6) | Naphtali Press


[Gillespie goes on for many more pages dealing specifically with the idolatry of kneeling at the sacrament of the Lord's Supper. These pages are not included here. See the printed versions. You may order the Naphtali Press version of English Popish Ceremonies from Amazon.com if you like. ]


---------- Post added at 04:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

Dudley,

I am looking for an argument as to why kneeling, in and of itself (without any reference to Popish ceremonies) is wrong. Is it wrong per se, or only wrong due to what historical abuses have caused it to mean?

It appears that kneeling in prayer is fine. If, however, one kneeled to pray and then immediately took the supper, I am trying to see how this could be wrong.

---------- Post added at 05:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 AM ----------

Linked is a website of a Presbyterian church that practices kneeling in worship: Heritage Presbyterian Church - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Are their reasons sound?

Can we say that kneeling in prayer is permitted but kneeling upon receiving the supper is not? What if prayer directly precedes receiving the supper, must we require the partaker to stand before administering the supper first?
 
English Popish Ceremonies: Historical Introduction by Roy Middleton | Naphtali Press

A dispute against the English popish ceremonies, obtruded upon the Church of Scotland : Gillespie, George, 1613-1648 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Here is where I accessed this book. I have not read all of it. Some parts are heavy plodding. The portion on the dedication of buildings, etc, was interesting, though.


The phrase that is repeated over and over is "Popish ceremonies." I.e., the argument seems to turn upon the inappropriateness of an action due to past idolatries associated with this action (by Rome).

Where is kneeling addressed? Can you help me find the chapter: Part 7: Popish Ceremonies are Proved to be Idolatrous Because They are Formally Idols Themselves (EPC 3.4.1-3.4.6) | Naphtali Press


[Gillespie goes on for many more pages dealing specifically with the idolatry of kneeling at the sacrament of the Lord's Supper. These pages are not included here. See the printed versions. You may order the Naphtali Press version of English Popish Ceremonies from Amazon.com if you like. ]


---------- Post added at 04:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

Dudley,

I am looking for an argument as to why kneeling, in and of itself (without any reference to Popish ceremonies) is wrong. Is it wrong per se, or only wrong due to what historical abuses have caused it to mean?

It appears that kneeling in prayer is fine. If, however, one kneeled to pray and then immediately took the supper, I am trying to see how this could be wrong.

---------- Post added at 05:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 AM ----------

Linked is a website of a Presbyterian church that practices kneeling in worship: Heritage Presbyterian Church - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Are their reasons sound?

Can we say that kneeling in prayer is permitted but kneeling upon receiving the supper is not? What if prayer directly precedes receiving the supper, must we require the partaker to stand before administering the supper first?


It is wrong primarily due to what historical abuses have caused it to mean. That is why the Reformers objected. I agreed with Chris. To kneel as the Romanist idolaters is to recognize that the bread has the carnal presence of Christ as the Lutherans also do. As Reformed Protestants we should remember that the Lord is present spiritually in communion and the bread and wine are sacramental signs to remind us of the sacrifice of Christ and the last supper which was meal. The real presence of Christ is affirmed yet any carnal or local notion of presence be it Roman catholic or Lutheran is denied. I deny the roman catholic and Lutheran view and kneeling would send the message that we recognize the carnal presence of Christ which we do not …it is idolatry. I was always repulsed even while still a Roman catholic at the adoration of a bread wafer. I knew Christ was present and at one time I believed in the catholic teaching of transubstantiation. After Vatican II the worship of the bread wafer stopped. Then this current pope re introduced it and many other old popish ceremonies…that is when I left the Roman catholic church and became a Protestant. I discovered that Calvin and Knox’s teaching on the Lords Supper was what I believed to be the truth. My study of the Protestant reformation also led me to believe that both transubstantiation and the adoration of the Eucharist were inventions of 11th century popes. No Biblical basis. I renounced all those Roman catholic teachings when I renounced the pope and roman Catholicism at the time I was becoming a Presbyterian. I now believe to kneel and adore a piece of bread is a blasphemy of the Lords Supper. It is heresy and to kneel would to me give a sign that we accept the view of the papists . I also as I said am repulsed now a the adoration of the bread , Mary , the saints and all the popish rituals which deny the true message of salvation. I now think that the catholic teaching on the Lords supper and practices are a blasphemy and I also think the mass is an abomination. I renounce it as did the reformers did. I think we need to keep our Protestant identity. I can identify with Calvin and I understand what he meant when he said “Surely, though, they should not have a monopoly on reverence in worship. John Calvin (who thought the Pope was the Antichrist!) himself recommended kneeling in prayer to assist our hearts: I also like Calvin think the papacy is an antichrist institution and popes are in essence anti-Christ’s .It is also why I renounced the pope when I renounced my Roman Catholicism . I believe and follow the original Westminster Confession. I think there is an argument for kneeling but my fear is it would be misunderstood. I have distanced myself from anything that is Roman catholic and popish in any way. I think Roman Catholicism is a man made religion and her distortions are a deceit of Satan himself. I do think the Roman catholic church is the Whore of Babylon .It is why I am now a Reformed Protestant.
 
To turn the question on its head, where does it say to sit and fold our hands during prayer or worship? I agree that care should be given during the Lord's table because of the idolatrous association with the mass. (Although, our lack of an alter mitigates to some extent.) But I think we've been reactionary against both the RC and the charismatics. Lifting hands in worship and praise and having the opportunity to kneel during prayer are squarely Biblical. Since the first (praise) is not normally associated w/reformed worship, I'd be concerned about being ostentatious. But in prayer, who should be looking except God?


If you visit a church that desires you to kneel to pray or take communion, what should you do? What if the church is clearly Reformed and does not believe in the Popish doctrines of the Mass?
This is precisely why I do not participate in the Lord's table at my folk's Lutheran church.
 
English Popish Ceremonies: Historical Introduction by Roy Middleton | Naphtali Press

A dispute against the English popish ceremonies, obtruded upon the Church of Scotland : Gillespie, George, 1613-1648 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Here is where I accessed this book. I have not read all of it. Some parts are heavy plodding. The portion on the dedication of buildings, etc, was interesting, though.


The phrase that is repeated over and over is "Popish ceremonies." I.e., the argument seems to turn upon the inappropriateness of an action due to past idolatries associated with this action (by Rome).

Where is kneeling addressed? Can you help me find the chapter: Part 7: Popish Ceremonies are Proved to be Idolatrous Because They are Formally Idols Themselves (EPC 3.4.1-3.4.6) | Naphtali Press


[Gillespie goes on for many more pages dealing specifically with the idolatry of kneeling at the sacrament of the Lord's Supper. These pages are not included here. See the printed versions. You may order the Naphtali Press version of English Popish Ceremonies from Amazon.com if you like. ]


---------- Post added at 04:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

Dudley,

I am looking for an argument as to why kneeling, in and of itself (without any reference to Popish ceremonies) is wrong. Is it wrong per se, or only wrong due to what historical abuses have caused it to mean?

It appears that kneeling in prayer is fine. If, however, one kneeled to pray and then immediately took the supper, I am trying to see how this could be wrong.

---------- Post added at 05:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 AM ----------

Linked is a website of a Presbyterian church that practices kneeling in worship: Heritage Presbyterian Church - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Are their reasons sound?

Can we say that kneeling in prayer is permitted but kneeling upon receiving the supper is not? What if prayer directly precedes receiving the supper, must we require the partaker to stand before administering the supper first?


It is wrong primarily due to what historical abuses have caused it to mean. That is why the Reformers objected. I agreed with Chris. To kneel as the Romanist idolaters is to recognize that the bread has the carnal presence of Christ as the Lutherans also do. As Reformed Protestants we should remember that the Lord is present spiritually in communion and the bread and wine are sacramental signs to remind us of the sacrifice of Christ and the last supper which was meal. The real presence of Christ is affirmed yet any carnal or local notion of presence be it Roman catholic or Lutheran is denied. I deny the roman catholic and Lutheran view and kneeling would send the message that we recognize the carnal presence of Christ which we do not …it is idolatry. I was always repulsed even while still a Roman catholic at the adoration of a bread wafer. I knew Christ was present and at one time I believed in the catholic teaching of transubstantiation. After Vatican II the worship of the bread wafer stopped. Then this current pope re introduced it and many other old popish ceremonies…that is when I left the Roman catholic church and became a Protestant. I discovered that Calvin and Knox’s teaching on the Lords Supper was what I believed to be the truth. My study of the Protestant reformation also led me to believe that both transubstantiation and the adoration of the Eucharist were inventions of 11th century popes. No Biblical basis. I renounced all those Roman catholic teachings when I renounced the pope and roman Catholicism at the time I was becoming a Presbyterian. I now believe to kneel and adore a piece of bread is a blasphemy of the Lords Supper. It is heresy and to kneel would to me give a sign that we accept the view of the papists . I also as I said am repulsed now a the adoration of the bread , Mary , the saints and all the popish rituals which deny the true message of salvation. I now think that the catholic teaching on the Lords supper and practices are a blasphemy and I also think the mass is an abomination. I renounce it as did the reformers did. I think we need to keep our Protestant identity. I can identify with Calvin and I understand what he meant when he said “Surely, though, they should not have a monopoly on reverence in worship. John Calvin (who thought the Pope was the Antichrist!) himself recommended kneeling in prayer to assist our hearts: I also like Calvin think the papacy is an antichrist institution and popes are in essence anti-Christ’s .It is also why I renounced the pope when I renounced my Roman Catholicism . I believe and follow the original Westminster Confession. I think there is an argument for kneeling but my fear is it would be misunderstood. I have distanced myself from anything that is Roman catholic and popish in any way. I think Roman Catholicism is a man made religion and her distortions are a deceit of Satan himself. I do think the Roman catholic church is the Whore of Babylon .It is why I am now a Reformed Protestant.

Dudley,

You stated,
It is wrong primarily due to what historical abuses have caused it to mean.

In regions which have no acquaintance with Catholicism, is it thus still wrong (if no idolatry is attached to it and one kneels in prayer directly prior to partaking and doesn't bother with taking another posture before taking the supper)? Would you agree that there is no universal morally binding principal which makes kneeling per se (in and of itself) wrong when partaking the supper?
 
Where is kneeling addressed?

Pergy, Chris offered to email anyone the section that discussed it in relation to the Lord's table. You need to message him. Kneeling at the Lord's table has a host of problems. Message Chris and he will send you the pdf.


If anyone seriously wants to dive into this question with Gillespie I will offer my new version of that section (about 30 pages) which is more easily followed I think than the 19th century version online. To big to post and you will need to agree to use it for private use only as I intend publication in early 2013. Private message me if interested in the PDF.
 
The 33 page extract from the forthcoming revised text of EPC covers section 7-28 (end of chapter) which is all the section on kneeling. I have sent Pergamum the extract but one can look online for part 3 chapter four, and those sections to read the 19th or 17th century text. The extract has extensive addendum on bibliography and the Latin translated. And the PDF should be a very clean read; but I have disabled cut and paste and high quality printing given the provisional nature of the file and that it is from a forthcoming publication.

Again, Gillespie is not arguing against the posture of kneeling in total, but against it at the receiving the elements of the Lord's supper. I gave the thesis above more than once I think. So there are two arguments; one is against kneeling at communion as noted in the thesis as simply unlawful; the other is that it needs to be avoided due to it being a monument of idolatry and badge of ongoing idolatry with the RCC.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top