Is sanctifying faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

earl40

Puritan Board Professor
the same or different than Justifying faith? I understand and believe we are Justified by faith alone and understand that faith is never alone. So are there two faiths, or simply two aspects of the same faith? Of course the latter appears to be correct as I type this, and so I can say that there are different aspects of faith. So is there precedent for saying the words "sanctifying faith"?

It is the same faith but different objects. Christ is constituted by God all that the sinner needs, and it is the office of faith to act out of creaturely emptiness so as to receive of Christ's fulness. E.g., Christ is made to us wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption. Faith goes out to Christ for these different things. A person, as ignorant, trusts in Christ for wisdom; as condemned, for righteousness; as corrupt, for sanctification; as enslaved, for redemption. We may and should apply the same principle to the various revelations of Christ in the Word. We are darkness, He is light; we are dead, He is life; we are hungry, He is bread, etc. Blessed be His glorious name!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back