Isaiah 64:4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty

Puritan Board Sophomore
Isaiah 64:4 says, "For from days of old they have not heard or perceived by ear, Nor has the eye seen a God besides You, Who acts in behalf of the one who waits for Him."

I've been reading Isaiah and I came across the above verse. What does it mean to wait for God? Could anyone here give some examples of how God acts in behalf of the one who waits for Him? How would this truth relate to the life of a child?

Dear Toasty,

Well, one example of the power of miracle delayed is that godly Isaiah waited several centuries for the Incarnation, but God justified him thereby nonetheless.

In reference to the last question, I consulted with my resident expert on spiritual elementary education, aka Mrs. Anderson. She reports that she teaches children to exercise patience in awaiting answer to prayer; if God makes us wait, it is because the waiting is good for us. If what we want is good, God will give it to us in good time. We must not demand our desires from God, because sometimes what we want is not good for us. Even our parents do not always give us what we want right away, because they love us; but God loves us even more than they do. If we go before a king, we don't just go barging in, but wait until he is ready, out of respect. Likewise, we talk to mommy and daddy respectfully, not interrupting them when they are talking to someone else. We can talk to God any time, but waiting for His answer is being reverent towards Him.

Sounds like good advice for adults, too.

Yours, Cov
Steven Anderson OPC RE
Grace Church plant
Farmington, Maine

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back