'It is not good for man to be alone'.... will this still apply in heaven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satz

Puritan Board Senior
\'It is not good for man to be alone\'.... will this still apply in heaven?

This is sort of a multipart question so here goes,

1.In eden Adam was without sin and thus presumably enjoyed a incredibly close relationship with God. But how does that compare with our current relationship to God as christians?

While Adam was sinless, is it true that he was not a Son of God in the same way we are? Are we, though tainted with sin somehow closer to God than Adam was because of our union with Christ?

2. While Adam was still sinless, God declared it was not good for him to be alone, and created Eve.When we are glorified in heaven, will we still have a need for the company of other creatures? Or will God be enough for us? Obviously we will not need any apart from God to be supremely satisfied, but just like Adam in the garden, did he purposely create us to have a need for our fellow creatures?

Thoughts are appreciated!

[Edited on 8-5-2005 by satz]

1.In Eden Adam was without sin and thus presumably enjoyed a incredibly close relationship with God. But how does that compare with our current relationship to God as Christians?

While Adam was sinless, is it true that he was not a Son of God in the same way we are? Are we, though tainted with sin somehow closer to God than Adam was because of our union with Christ?

This is one of the reason why I believe in the imputation of active obedience. In Christ we get back everything that we lost in Adam plus ten thousand times ten thousand more. Christians are truer human beings than pre fall Adam ever was, because of our union with Christ. It was never meant to be about that Garden state.

2. While Adam was still sinless, God declared it was not good for him to be alone, and created Eve.When we are glorified in heaven, will we still have a need for the company of other creatures? Or will God be enough for us? Obviously we will not need any apart from God to be supremely satisfied, but just like Adam in the garden, did he purposely create us to have a need for our fellow creatures?

Absolutely, as those made in the image of God who is Trinity, our capacity and desire for communion is built in. The beauty of the man/woman union is that it´s purpose is to point to the greater union, namely, Christ and His Bride. I would say, then, that every relationship with have now and will have in heaven points to the fact that we are made in the image of God who is Trinity, and the purpose of the man/woman relationship (why it was not good for Adam to be alone) is to point specifically to the relationship we have with Christ through faith. I love that even in a pre fall state we see God setting up redemptive realities.

Excellent questions Satz, thanks!

Then the LORD God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him."
(Gen 2:18 - ESV)
The verse actually says it's not good for "the" man, in other words Adam, to be alone. I don't think this verse speaks of all of mankind, but only Adam.

The NT teaches that some men are not to be married...

The disciples said to him, "If such is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry." But he said to them, "Not everyone can receive this saying, but only those to whom it is given. For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it."
(Mat 19:10-12)

thanks for the replies folks

Larry,

I wasn't talking about marriage specifically, just the need for human relationship in general.

i am a little unsure if we should read too much into that one word in Genesis. That word could be there simply as a reference to the fact that Adam was the only man in existence at the time.

Regarding those who are eunuchs for the kingdom, they either are satisfied by other human relationships, prehaps within their church, or they deny their needs in order to serve the kingdom. I think 1 Cor 7 would support the idea that those who forgo marriage are not those who have no desire for it, but those who can control their desires in order to better serve the kingdom.

i am a little unsure if we should read too much into that one word in Genesis. That word could be there simply as a reference to the fact that Adam was the only man in existence at the time.
Very true.
On the other hand, we can't say definitively that this verse relates to "all" men.

I wasn't talking about marriage specifically, just the need for human relationship in general.
Ok, but the context of the verse you quoted does seem to be specifically talking about marriage. Look at Gen 2:24...

Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
(Gen 2:24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back