It is ok for Christians to use Cosmetic surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knee jerk without much thought...

I could see reconstructive surgery after an accident. A question to ask is what is the motivation of the plastic surgery etc. otherwise? Vanity?

Same question, different twist: What about hair coloring? Just for Men? :lol:

is there a level of vanity that is acceptable. I mean, grooming, good hygine, being in shape. When does it go overboard?

Originally posted by Slippery
It is ok for Christians to use Cosmetic surgery?
Face lifts, botox, implants, lipo, plastic surgery etc.
Which procedure(s) are you considering having done?

well i am not considering any procedure, but if there is anything that I slightly offends me, is my love handles. Heck, its nothing that 10 miles a week jogging wouldn't do away with, but 10 miles a week versus a half hour procedure. hmmmmmmmmmmm:cool:

[Edited on 8-4-2005 by Slippery]

well i am not considering any procedure, but if there is anything that I slightly offends me, is my love handles. Heck, its nothing that 10 miles a week jogging wouldn't do away with, but 10 miles a week versus a half hour procedure. hmmmmmmmmmmm:cool:
Decisions, decisions. If I had love handles ( :lol: as if I don't), I'm not sure which I'd choose either.

[Edited on 8-4-2005 by blhowes]

kinda sucks, being a sports fan, and having love handles hehehehe. :D and its not that I don't exercize. I hit the weights, but I have constraints that doesn't permit me to do much cardio.

BTW, your avatar looks pretty healthy to me, but that's the same thinking disabled people get when they park in a HC space.

Depends on situation. Reconstructive surgery, yes. Someone trying to fix an honest problem that can cause medical issues. For pure vanity (or so called self-esteem) no.

This issue seems to touch on our Christian liberty. A question to ask might be at what point being well groomed and looking good becomes idolatry.

Regarding surgery for purely cosmetic purposes, ie too improve one's looks,
how would we distinguish this from bracers for the teeth, contact lenses, exercise at the gym, make-up and all kinds of other things designed to improve how we look?

[Edited on 8-4-2005 by satz]

braces---actually help teeth to be healthy. Crooked teeth are more likely to have problems and more likely to fall out. They can also cause problems with speech and eating. Some can even be painful due to positioning.

contact lenses---for many ppl they may actually inprove eyesight (they did mine in the time that I had them...I would like to get them again). There are also some circumstances in which they could be more convenient (you ever try to look through a telescope or microscope with glasses...ugh! clank!)

excercise---this is simply taking care of your body

make-up---as long as you don't take forever and aren't glopping it on...a little isn't a problem.

Surgical cosmetic surgeries and botox injections---look at the risks it puts the rest of your body and your life in just to look good! look at the amount of money spent. Look how it can actually cause more damage (I see nothing healthy about threading fishhooks through your face, pulling, and knotting at the temple...the cheaper latest craze in cosmetic surgery!). look at what can happen when you try over and over to stop time (michael jackson isn't the only one with a collapsed nose).

any questions?

I once had a girl ask me what I thought of her "implants"--hint-hint, nudge-nudge-- She premised her inquiry, by "You're all religious right, what do you th..." as if I was the Vox Deus of providentially-approved and blessed "implants."

I was a little dumbfounded in offering a response, but she liked talking for several minutes about it...

I understand the motivation for cosmetic surgery of whatever kind, but not everything can be changed nor every perceived flaw corrected... We should esteem another Christian's value who is seeking affirmation...

For You created my innermost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
--Psalm 139:13-14

:detective:

I have been wondering about this for some time.

Should a person be free to change their hair color, their skin complexion (through tanning, artificial tanners, make-up), the shape of their nose, shape and size of breasts, color of their eyes, hair plugs etc?

What about surgeries that will help a person's health, such as gastric bypass (stomach staple)?

Originally posted by LadyFlynt
Depends on situation. Reconstructive surgery, yes. Someone trying to fix an honest problem that can cause medical issues. For pure vanity (or so called self-esteem) no.

:up::up:

Originally posted by blhowes
Decisions, decisions. If I had love handles ( :lol: as if I don't), I'm not sure which I'd choose either.

[Edited on 8-4-2005 by blhowes]

Go with bigger pants! :cool:

Then pull them up around your chest. Out of sight out of mind. :p

My question is what is 'pure vanity.'

The unfortunate fact of society is that looks are important. Sorry to say, people judge us on our looks.

Looking good is important in job interviews, sales call, dating, etc. If your daughter had an important job interview, wouldn't you tell her to look her very very best?

I've had people complain to me because their spouses did not keep up their appearances. In one case, the husband complained to me about his wife's slovenly, obese appearance, and his wife complained about her husband's slovenly, obese appearance. Neither he nor she was concerned about their own appearance.

I personally have regretted some of my past 'fashion decisions.' When you represent a church, business, country, family or whatever, I think it is commendable to present as good an image as possible. But that's just my opinion.

I can't tell you the number of times I've had foreigners remark on how slovenly, fat and sloppy many North Americans look.

Maybe I'm more sensitive to this now because there are times when I'm in public were I've needed the help of strangers.

For example, sometimes when I go to the mall, by the time I'm done shopping, I'm totally exhausted. Normally when this happens, some stranger will walk 100 feet out of their way to get me a cab. This can be a real blessing for me.

If I looked (more) homely, or slovenly, or really obese, or whatever, I might get no help. Studies have shown that 'lookism' is very, very real. Unfortunately, people are less likely to help uglier people.

Moreover, if I was obese, they may think I am just lazy and refuse to help.

Unfortunately, that is how some people think - and I have to depend on these people to help me.

People are more likely to reject someone who is less attractive. If a child has buckteeth (or whatever) that pose no physical problems, I think it may still be appropriate to get dental work, even though it may just be for vanity. A beautiful smile can help in this cruel world.

Now I'm not saying we should all get multiple surguries to look like Jennifer Lopez, however, in some cases I think cosmetic work is justifiable for 'just appearance' purposes. Maybe it's okay to get that ugly mole removed, or that big nose reduced in size, or to get those ears fixed so they don't stick out as much.

Of course, I'm not God, and my opinions have been wrong in the past.

Originally posted by BrianBowman
This issue seems to touch on our Christian liberty. A question to ask might be at what point being well groomed and looking good becomes idolatry.

I agree with Brian. I believe that it is a Christian liberty issue...As Paul said, "Let each be fully convinced in his own mind." Romans 14:5

Personally, I wouldn't for the very reasons most have cited, unless it was reconstructive in nature. Cosmetic surgery as described in original post strikes me as vanity. Yet I would never judge another in the matter. Their stewardship of what God has blessed them with is between them and the LORD. Who knows that the LORD will not rebuke many of us preachers for all of our excessive book buying!

Again, humbly, just my :2cents:,

Dwayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back