Is it ok to change vocations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmay

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm not too well versed in the doctrine of vocation, but my understanding is one should probably not switch vocations. I'm a video editor now, but for the past 3 years or so I've felt this immense desire to get out of that field and be involved in academics some how. As this desire has increased, my desire to do video work has eroded almost simultaneously. But I'm not sure if I'm supposed to stay in the same field at the time in which God saved me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did Peter remain a fisherman and did Paul always make tents? If you're referring to 1 Cor. 7:17-24, don't forget 21:

Were you called while a slave? Do not be concerned about it; but if you can be made free, rather use it.

Certainly you want to be responsible in pursuing another job, honoring God. You should always be content, even when pursuing another job, since God may close other doors. You may even be surprised what doors are opened that you didn't expect.

I don't know when I was saved. What vocation should I then stick with? ;)

I thought I read that Luther said to stay put. I dunno, just trying to cautious and wise. A vocation change would be time spent retraining and starting over instead of making my current skill set better.

I sure hope so, as I did just that 18 months ago.

But to address your question directly, I don't think that is an accurate view of the doctrine of vocation. Although, surely there are times when one could switch vocations for sinful reasons.

And Mr. Luther himself didn't necessarily "stay put", depending on how one defines that.

A sailor does not jump ships in a storm. If there is no storm then use the peace and calm to evaluate.There are commitments, family etc to consider, but to have job satisfaction is a tremendous blessing.

It was commonly held in former times amongst the Reformed that one ordinarily ought not to change his vocation but rather continue in it with contentment noting Paul's exhortation in I Corinthians 7:20. At the very least a change ought not to be considered lightly. Here is William Perkins, for instance:

2. TO DO A WORK IN CONSTANCY. The Second thing required in doing the works of a man’s
calling in a good manner, which also serves for a good continuance in the calling, is constancy.
And it is nothing else than a perseverance in good duties, which is needed all the more because it
is no commendation for us to choose a good and fit calling, and enter into it, unless we see its
duties through to the end.1 For even as the soldier in the field must not change his place in
which he is placed by the General, but must abide by it, even to giving his life; so must the
Christian continue and abide in his calling without change or alteration.

There is a certain lightness in the nature of man whereby it comes to pass that many like other
men’s callings better than their own; and hereupon they are moved by every light occasion to
alter their calling. But in the text in hand, the Holy Spirit meets with this lightness by
commanding every man to continue constant in doing the duties of his particular calling; Let
every man abide in that vocation in which he was called. And we must be careful to avoid,
Three impediments to Constancy: A. Ambition, B. Envy, and C. Impatience.

A. Ambition. This is a vice whereby any man, thinking better of himself than there is cause
that he should, becomes malcontent with his particular calling, and seeks for himself a higher
place and a better estate. We have an example of this Ambition in our first parents, who by
Satan’s allurement, became malcontent with that estate in which they were created, and sought
to attain to the condition of God Himself.Gen 3.5 And this sin of theirs clings fast to the nature of
every man, and by it we are easily carried to a dislike of our condition. Thus Absalom through
Ambition was moved to seek his father’s kingdom, judging basely of his present estate; for out of
natural self-love springs Ambition.

And to better redress this vice in ourselves, every man must enter into consideration of his own
estate: we must think to ourselves that in respect to our bodies we are but dust and ashes,Gen 18.27
and to dust we must return again Ecc 3.20 — that in respect to the disposition of our hearts, being
altogether set upon sin, we are far more wretched than any other creature; and also that of
ourselves, we do not have any sufficiency for doing the least and smallest duty of the basest
calling in the world. For of ourselves, we are not sufficient to think one good thought, much less
to perform one good duty that is acceptable to God, in any calling whatsoever. And therefore we
must consider with ourselves that in our particular callings, we are but weak instruments in the
hand of the Lord, who is the principal worker and agent. These and like meditations might move
us to contentment in the calling in which God has placed us.

B. Envy. The second impediment to Constancy is Envy, which is a pining away of the heart
when we see others placed in better callings and conditions than ourselves. This is a common
sin, and it is the cause of great dissension in the Commonwealth. It is one of Machiavelli’s2
policies that in a Commonwealth it is necessary for men of various degrees and callings to envy
and malign each other. But contrariwise, it is indeed a manifest hindrance to constancy in good
duties, and hurtful to both Church and Commonwealth. And to better redress this fault, we are
to consider that the greatest callings are not ordained to maintain pride, or for the private
benefit of men, but for the common good. Secondly, those who are placed in the greatest callings
have the greatest charges, and therefore they are to give the greatest account to God.Luk 12.48

C. Impatience. The third impediment to Constancy is Impatience, which is a disquiet of mind
arising from the continual troubles that are incident to all callings, especially when men are not
able to bear them, nor brook the injuries that are commonly done to them in word or deed. This
very sin makes many a man leave his place. Those who go to sea for their delight, choose fair and
calm days. Afterward, being sick, indeed tossed by wind and weather, and in some danger of
losing their lives, they wish themselves on land again. They are grieved that they ever came
onboard ship, professing that if they make it back to land, they will never go to sea anymore.
It fares even so with many men, both in the Church and the Commonwealth, that they take a
liking to this or that calling; they enter into it hoping for pleasure, wealth, and the approval of
men. Then afterward, upon finding themselves disappointed in their expectation, and having to
walk in their callings with many troubles and discomforts, they become impatient, and either do
indeed, or greatly wish to, leave their callings.

Now, to remedy this vice, we must resolve to go on doing the duties of our callings, to go through
to the end despite all crosses or calamities1 that may befall us in any way — arming ourselves
with all fit and necessary patience. Thus Christ commanded his disciples to possess their souls
with patience. Luk 21.19 And Paul charges the Philippians to let their patient and equal minds be
known to all men.2 The Surgeon who is to cut his patient, goes on to launch and work his cure,
however much his patient cries: so must we in our particular callings go on with courage and
constancy, to do the works of it for the glory of God and the good of men, even though there are
ever so many causes and impediments to hinder us. And as Paul says, to pass through good
report and bad report, through shame and rebuke.
2Cor 6.8

A change of calling is a lawful going from one calling to another. It is not the
Apostle’s meaning to bar men from diverting from this or that calling, but he gives them an item
to keep them from changing on every light conceit, and every sudden occasion. Changes may be
lawfully made, as it appears in this: Amos, by calling, was first a herdsman,Amo 1.1 but after, a
Prophet.Amo 1.3 The Disciples were first fishermen,Mat 4.18 and after Apostles.Mat 10.2

Our Savior Christ himself was by calling a Carpenter, in his first and private life,Mar 6.3 until he
was thirty years old. Yet after his baptism, he showed himself to be the Messiah and Savior of
the world.Joh 1.41; 4.26

Nevertheless, a change may not be made except upon urgent and weighty causes; and these are
two especially:
(1) Private necessity; and
(2) The Common Good.

(1) PRIVATE NECESSITY is when men cannot maintain themselves and theirs by the callings in
which they are engaged; then they may take themselves to other callings. Thus a merchant may
become a husbandman, and a husbandman, a Merchant. Thus a Physician may become a
minister of the Gospel. And thus Paul, an Apostle, upon private necessity, returned to the calling
of a tent-maker, yet so as to perform his ministry when occasion was offered.Act 18.3

(2) THE COMMON GOOD. The second cause of making a lawful change, is the public good. Thus a
private man may become a Magistrate. And it must be remembered that so often as we change,
it must be to better and more excellent callings in which we may glorify God more, and bring a
greater benefit to the Church and Commonwealth.2 Thus Paul bids the Corinthians to seek the
best gifts, which might serve for the best callings.1Cor 12.31 Here the fault of some is to be reproved.
They have notable gifts of nature and learning; but because they would attain worldly wealth,
they make themselves Merchants, or factors to merchants,3 or serving men to great persons.
Whereas, for their gifts, they might do God better service in the greatest callings of the Church.
And so much for Constancy.

The consideration of this — that we are bound to be constant in the duties of our particular
callings — must teach us, much more, to be constant in the general duties of Christianity. And
therefore let us all be careful not only to profess the true religion for the present time, but to
continue constant in this profession to the end. Our general calling does not allow for any
vacation or change, as our particular callings do. Well then, in that we profess ourselves to be
members of Christ, in these days — our happy days of peace — let us arm ourselves against the
evil days to come, so that we may be faithful to the end.

Again, in the general calling, every man is bound in all good conscience, to obey God in all his
commandments. Here also our constancy must appear, so long as we live, that we may say with
Paul, I have finished my course, I have fought a good fight; 2Tim 4.7 And with Hezekiah on his
deathbed, Lord, remember how I have walked before you with an upright heart, and have
done that which is acceptable in your sight.
Isa 38.3 God has made a most merciful promise of life
everlasting, which is the comfort of all comforts, and without which, the case of God’s children
would be of all, most miserable.1Cor 15.9 And this promise is made to those who continue faithful
to the end.Rev 2.10 These are the ones on whom God will bestow the crown of life.

As regards the original poster's point, I think his situation may fall under the Common Good exception Perkins outlines if one wishes to move from the entertainment field to the academy and he feels like he has the requisite gifts and affections.

While contentment is a godly virture, I think you'll find the old advocates of not changing vocations have come, by and large, from a culture that was much more mindful of class structures and station-in-life than is our own. They may have made some fair arguments from Scripture in support of their thinking, but we could also make good scriptural arguments in support of changing vocations when opportunity arises. So while there's much about the Puritan era we should emulate, retaining the class structures of that time is not necessarily one of them. If you can make more of your time in this world without slipping into selfish ambition or envy in the process, there's no reason you may not make that change.

I myself have changed vocations a few times, mostly as I have seen myself mature and have noticed that I could serve God and others better by doing something else. If you ask yourself, "Where can I best serve God and others?" rather than, "How can I get ahead of others?" you should be able to change vocations (or not) and do so to the glory of God.

Timothy
I'm not too well versed in the doctrine of vocation, but my understanding is one should probably not switch vocations. I'm a video editor now, but for the past 3 years or so I've felt this immense desire to get out of that field and be involved in academics some how. As this desire has increased, my desire to do video work has eroded almost simultaneously. But I'm not sure if I'm supposed to stay in the same field at the time in which God saved me.

God doesn't have a secret plan for your life which he wants you to discover by some peculiar means beforehand. The main question is - weighing up the pros and cons - would it be wise for you to try to change career.

I've found this little book helpful on life decisions recently:http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5466804-just-do-something

While contentment is a godly virture, I think you'll find the old advocates of not changing vocations have come, by and large, from a culture that was much more mindful of class structures and station-in-life than is our own. They may have made some fair arguments from Scripture in support of their thinking, but we could also make good scriptural arguments in support of changing vocations when opportunity arises. So while there's much about the Puritan era we should emulate, retaining the class structures of that time is not necessarily one of them. If you can make more of your time in this world without slipping into selfish ambition or envy in the process, there's no reason you may not make that change.

I myself have changed vocations a few times, mostly as I have seen myself mature and have noticed that I could serve God and others better by doing something else. If you ask yourself, "Where can I best serve God and others?" rather than, "How can I get ahead of others?" you should be able to change vocations (or not) and do so to the glory of God.

I think this is right. We live in a society that i much more fluid than the one Perkins lived in. Times and conditions change. If you feel that you can honor God by doing something for a living other than what you're doing now, and can support yourself and your loved ones in it, then go for it!

I would see no problem in changing vocations. However you have to ask why you want to change. Is it because you are bored or fed up? Are you wanting to escape from challenging people or situations? Remember the old phrase that the grass is always greener somewhere else. What ever issues you face in your current position will just reappear in any new position. If you have a growing desire for a change then go for it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Here are my pros and cons

1. What I'm considering perfectly matches up with my current situation for new education regarding qualification for degrees, etc
2. This new vocation could offer more opportunities for long term and widespread employment, my current is very limited
3. Most importantly this new vocation would definitely allow me to serve more people and even my local culture.

Cons
1. Going to be a new dad in a few weeks so I definitely can't do anything immediately.
2. New vocation is going to cost a bit, but thankfully I can keep working full time and pay it off as I go so I won't go into debt.
3. It's possible a new salary could be quite low, at least at first

It would possibly be very difficult to "not" change vocations.
The Job Market requires so many different skill sets nowdays.
Some of my friends have three different trades, its crazy out there.

Changing vocations is not a sin, nor is it necessarily evidence of a lack of faith. Sometimes it's necessary.

Many good things have been written in this thread. Common sense gets us a long ways here. Things such as job obsolescence, change of beliefs, and contemporary opportunities have all been brought up. It's interesting that Luther was mentioned as his father was an early example of the beginnings of Western social mobility. Mr. Luther worked his way up from miner worker-bee to mine managing partner. Furthermore the fact that his poor born father was prepared, and had the connections, to enroll Luther in law school was also a break with how things were done. In those days sons followed their fathers work. Martin Luther followed neither his father's work nor his father's wishes.

Nowadays the actual work done in so many professions with the same job title is extremely fluid. When you consider such a given profession and then include direct reports and immediate supervisors and their job descriptions...well you have all kinds of "vocations." Could one be promoted or demoted in this situation without violating God's law? I think it's silly to tie oneself into knots over changing vocations.

There are no doubt sad and stupid cases you can find where a forty-nine year old accountant with a wife and three kids feels "called" to be an actor empties their savings accounts, moves the family to LA, and after a couple of months they are nearly on the street. That behavior isn't biblical.

On the other hand I think the issue is on of duties and stewardship as to how one honors the Lord in this manner. I personally was was sick of managing rental stores for ten years and wanted a fresh start. I quit. Next...a failed venture. I then went into another industry and have been successful at it. I enjoy my work. Do I wanted to do it for decades? No. I work in a company large enough that my vocation could change within in it several times over the years if I remain there. These days in order to carve out a living you will need to accumulate and employ skills that won't always fit the cookie-cutter models of career management of the past.

There are no doubt sad and stupid cases you can find where a forty-nine year old accountant with a wife and three kids feels "called" to be an actor empties their savings accounts, moves the family to LA, and after a couple of months they are nearly on the street. That behavior isn't biblical.

Not wanting to add any thing significant to this thread and the good advice already given, your example above reminded me of the below.

I had an acquaintance of mine who divorced His wife and was not what we would call a hard worker and provider to his wife and 3 sons. Well he drifted in and out of jobs till one day he thought found his calling or vocation which was to be a Missionary to the Indians somewhere up north. Well to make a long story short he dropped dead as he driving up to follow his vocation. He probably would have been better off if he was taking a vacation instead of following his "heart" to an unwarranted vocation.

I knew a man who cashed in his 401-K to attend seminary (online) at sometime around age 40. He sensed a call to ministry as an Army chaplain, but due to his age, he had to sign a waiver stating that he would never receive Army retirement benefits. As happens so often, the man's wife provided for the family with her work during much of this.

So we are all in agreement. Don't change hastily and for all the wrong reasons. Once the matter has been weighed properly, there is nothing wrong with it.

That depends if there are good reasons for changing vocations. If there are good reasons to change vocations, then it is ok.

I appreciate Cal Newport's work on this subject and several others. He is not a believer but writes very sensibly on the craftsmanship of ones work. He pushes against the cheap, throwaway "follow your passion" advice you hear constantly. I am looking forward to his new book coming out this winter. I commend his blog and books on studying as well. You can find talks he's given on YouTube and the various podcasts he's been on as a guest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back