Jonathan Edwards set

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkterry

Puritan Board Freshman
Is there any difference in content between the Banner of Truth edition and the edition from Hendrickson Publishers of the 2 volume set of Edwards works?

Thanks in advance,
 
From the description at CBD: the Hendrickson set also includes "...Henry Rogers's Essay on the Genius and Writings of Jonathan Edwards -- a work you won't find in any other Edwards collection."

It is available here: The Works of Jonathan Edwards, 2 Volumes

Mine is the BOT set, so I can't speak to the usefulness of this particular essay.
 
Then again the description for the BOT set states:

"The only full edition of Edwards' Works currently available."

That is what made me curious.
 
Referring to the BOT edition, I can tell you that the print is very small to my old eyes in the double column layout. I've gotten the titles I wanted in Yale individual editions used. More expensive but much more readable for me.
 
They are both reprints of the same 19th century edition with the same size font. The Banner of Truth edition is stronger and is cloth bound (lasts longer and has better binding). The Hendrickson is a bit cheaper and is not as well bound. The BOT edition's claim was more or less true when it was reprinted once-upon-a-time. The Hendrickson edition has that mentioned introductory essay, but I don't think it is a big deal. Now that Yale has the critical edition of truly all his complete works online (Freely!), the two volume editions are not of any academic or scholarly use, but for a casual read its fine. Given its a reprint, I would buy the cheaper one (if you can get the banner edition used go for it given the quality), otherwise just get hendrickson because you can get the original 19th century edition on kindle, ibooks, etc. dirt cheap all hyperlinked. I paid 3 bucks for the kindle version with a nice table of contents and was reformated as opposed to the free or 99 cent version which was a bit ugly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top