Judas and the Lord's Supper

Status
Not open for further replies.

N. Eshelman

Puritan Board Senior
Tomorrow in Sabbath School we are talking about Luke 22. I am planning on arguing, with Gillespie, that Judas DID NOT partake of the Lord's Supper.

I believe that Calvin said that he did take the bread, but not the sacrament.

Do you all have links for or against Judas' participation?

Is the warning against partaking of the Lord's Supper in an unworthy manner (1 Cor. 11) evidence that the person who is unworthy is actually not partaking of the sacrament/ordinance, even though he participates physically? The WCF reads (on the Lord's Supper):

Although ignorant and wicked men receive the outward elements in this sacrament; yet, they receive not the thing signified thereby; but, by their unworthy coming thereunto, are guilty of the body of the Lord, to their own damnation. Wherefore, all ignorant and ungodly persons, as they are unfit to enjoy communion with Him, so are they unworthy of the Lord's table; and cannot, without great sin against Christ, while they remain such, partake of these holy mysteries, or be admitted thereunto.

If we extend this warning to the first Lord's Supper then Judas was certainly guilty of the body of the Lord, to his own damnation. But the question is, did he partake? I suppose it depends on whether you base partake on the worthiness of the participant.

Unbelievers do partake of the Lord's Supper to their own judgment, but they do not truly partake.

In this Covenant sign and seal we have the inner (subjective) and outer (objective) aspects of the Covenant of Grace once again. In the case of the Lord's Supper the participant should covenant with God by faith before he covenants outwardly with God in the Supper.

If he covenants only outwardly he is only adding sin to sin. Better to be an unbeliever who doesn't take the Lord's Supper than an unbeliever who does. You are entering the bond of the Covenant without the internal reality thus increasing your responsibility.

Of course there is the possibility of repentance later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back