Justification in the Early Creeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartoflesh

Puritan Board Junior
I had brought this up somewhere else previously, but thought it was a subject deserving of it's own thread. I'm just curious why the early church didn't see the necessity of giving a precise definition of justification in any of it's early creeds. Was the subject so agreed upon that they didn't see a need for any clarification? I just find it interesting that "the article by which the church stands or falls" didn't receive great attention early on.

Thoughts?

Creeds are usually reactions to current controversies. The doctrine of justification may not have been under attack as to justify a specific statement on the subject.

Originally posted by wsw201
Creeds are usually reactions to current controversies. The doctrine of justification may not have been under attack as to justify a specific statement on the subject.

Yes, I can see that. I'm just surprised, being that Paul made such a big deal about it, that it didn't draw more attention. Things must of either settled down considerably once the Judiazers were straightened out, or Christians just became consumed with other controversies, Christology, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back