Kindle "search-ability" query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerset

Puritan Board Junior
I've downloaded two kindle books. The "Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" (free) has a table of contents you can use to find any story. The "Complete Works" of John Bunyan (71p - approx a dollar) seems to be one enormous paragraph - no index and no contents list. This really limits its value - I don't know what there is or where it is for any book.

My next two planned purchases are the complete Matthew Henry and a set of works by Thomas Watson. Does anyone know how easy it is to find one's way around these works - or any other Kindle books which are not a novel to be read from cover to cover? I would not expect to be able to get to a specific verse in Henry - just to the start of his comments on any particular book of the Bible. With Watson, it would be the start of any one volume. I know Amazon has a "look inside" feature - but that just freezes my PC.

Help would be very much welcome as if the Kindle can't do what I need it can still be taken back to the seller for a refund>

(Mod - I think this query is about books rather than a technical issue. If you need to move it please accept my apologies for causing work).

Last edited:
I have the complete Matthew Henry; it has the full text of the King James, and you can use the table of contents to move around inside the King James and then jump to the appropriate commentary entry with a click. His entries cover several verses, of course, but clicking on a particular verse will take you to the beginning of the relevant entry.

The "Complete Works" of John Bunyan (71p - approx a dollar) seems to be one enormous paragraph - no index and no contents list. This really limits its value - I don't know what there is or where it is for any book.

When there is no table of contents you can still Search Book, Press menu button then Search Book then type in what you want to search for. This can be a pain till you get used to it. Using the 5 way controller.

Before you purchase a book see if any one has written a review on the book. They generally will tell you if a book has a T O C.

Ken use this web site and he will explain a lot about the Kindle plus tell you whats free each day.

Free Kindle Books and Tips | Maximize The Enjoyment of Your Kindle!

Also look at other threads on PB and you will see some members have added books for a eReader.

I do not know what your needs are but remember the Kindle is a book reader plus a lot more. You just have to play with it to see if it suits your need.

Thanks for your help. The reviews on Amazon said my version of Bunyan was of no use - which was the free one after all. The new edition, with contents list, is 79 pence which for 58 books is a real bargain. Matthew Henry is working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back