Latest Budget-Friendly TV or Computer Monitor Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Suarez

Puritan Board Freshman
Question: Any recommended TV or computer monitors to plug in via HDMI to a laptop under $150?

Background: I recently bought a Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14" and like it so far except that the screen really bothers my eyes and results in all-day headaches. I've read some others online report experiencing similar symptoms and I am thinking I can resolve the issue by just using a separate monitor.

Question: Any recommended TV or computer monitors to plug in via HDMI to a laptop under $150?

Background: I recently bought a Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14" and like it so far except that the screen really bothers my eyes and results in all-day headaches. I've read some others online report experiencing similar symptoms and I am thinking I can resolve the issue by just using a separate monitor.
With that need and that budget, I would recommend anything by BenQ. It looks like BenQ has a model GW2480 that might be a good fit at $149.99 on Amazon. There's also GL2780 coming in at $169.99 on Amazon. I've owned several BenQ monitors over the years and have always been pleasantly surprised with their value.

TVs work fine. When Covid hit and I needed to set up an office at home, Best Buy was out of monitors, but I picked up a 24 inch TV (cheaper than a monitor, anyway) that I used for about 6 months. Worked great. Around $100. And now we use it as an over-the-air TV.

Looks like Walmart has 24" starting at $88 and 32" starting at 98. Main differece between the TVs and Monitors seems to be that RVs have 2 legs, and monitors just have 1.

I really doubt 1080p monitors have much difference in features. So I suggest buying from a place with returns (amazon best buy) or a good priced one at craigslist or FB marketplace.

I bought a small led hd flat screen at best buy for $100 in 2015 and I've used it as a second monitor for my laptop since. I assume both it and my laptop are 32 Hz. It's worked well for me. But that's probably something to keep in mind.

I would go to your local thrift store. Many monitors are going to be superior to a laptop simply because the size is bigger. Get a couple 19' or 20' monitors. anything Dell or Acer if you can, and you can probably get away with getting two monitors for around $30-$40. I prefer a duel screen for research, as I can have the web open on one screen, and the application open on another. Or Logos open on one, and a Word processor on another, or a lecture on one, and a place to take notes on another; etc. Computer monitors have been pretty good for some time; so unless you are looking for the newest and best simply as a preference; you can get something older for actual use no problem.

For your uses, I'd consider low flicker rate, a VA panel for good contrast and image depth, and wouldn't worry about refresh rates or quick response times (within reason). Most of these specs will keep the price low. Spend up for higher resolution if you can afford it, but don't drop below 1080p.

Some folk find reading easier with a blue light filter. I wouldn't pay the extra money for a curved screen. You'll likely want adjustments for your height and position. If you'll use both monitors at once, see if your video card has the "umph" to do so and that the monitor base isn't awkward when situated close to your laptop.

Acer has one that meets most of this in the Acer R242Y Ayi 23.8" Full HD (1920 x 1080) VA Monitor which runs about $90 on Amazon now. I haven't worked with this specific model but my "good" monitor is a more expensive big brother Acer that has the color fidelity I need for images and web development; it's held up great.

Samsung S33A Series 24 inch is a bit more expensive and has similar qualities. I've had several devices from Samsung and their displays have been gorgeous.

Double-check how your connection will work based upon the monitor you're selecting. I could get my husband involved to advise on this cable connection and answer questions regarding your video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back