Laws Better Unmade Than Unkept

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Montesquieu said, "Useless laws weaken the necessary laws."

Henry Smith said:

Solon...being asked when the commonwealth did best flourish, answered, When the people obey the magistrate, and the magistrate obeyeth the law; for laws are better unmade than unkept.

It's a good quote. I fear we live in a time when people lack the self-government to obey laws. I've seen a proliferation of regulations and annual training requirements as unethical behavior has become more commonplace in the military.

I was listening to Douglas Kelly the other day talking about how his great grandfather, at age 15, applied for a loan to save his farm in North Carolina in 1870. The banker met him at his property and they agreed to the terms of the loan over a hand shake.

It's a good quote. I fear we live in a time when people lack the self-government to obey laws. I've seen a proliferation of regulations and annual training requirements as unethical behavior has become more commonplace in the military.

I was listening to Douglas Kelly the other day talking about how his great grandfather, at age 15, applied for a loan to save his farm in North Carolina in 1870. The banker met him at his property and they agreed to the terms of the loan over a hand shake.

Even as late as 1973, the local banker gave me a loan to buy 20 heifers. I was 15 at the time. He came out and looked at what I was doing and wrote me the check on the spot. I paid it off in 3 years, but I did have to sign a promissory note. ;)

Funny thing is, nowadays a banker wouldn't do that because he'd be taking advantage of a child. . . .

Montesquieu said, "Useless laws weaken the necessary laws."

Henry Smith said:

Solon...being asked when the commonwealth did best flourish, answered, When the people obey the magistrate, and the magistrate obeyeth the law; for laws are better unmade than unkept.

BTW, this quote reminded me of a City of Tacoma ordinance prohibiting drinking or eating anything while driving. Yet the McDonald's drive-through downtown is next door to the police station. :um:

This reminds me of a quote by Dee Hock:

Simple, clear purpose and principles give rise to complex and intelligent behavior. Complex rules and regulations give rise to simple and stupid behavior.

Who was Dee Hock? The founder of VISA credit card association.

I came across the same quote by Solon in my reading of William Jenkyn's exposition of Jude and thought I would post what he said here for consideration as well (p. 173):

It was a wise speech of Solon, "That only that commonwealth could be safe, where the people obeyed the magistrate, and the magistrate the laws." And of Plato, who said, "That city cannot be far from ruin, where the laws are not above the magistrate, but the magistrate above the laws."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back