Learning Greek and Hebrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthemama1984

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
I realized last night that in order for me to graduate in the time frame that I want, I will need to take elementary Hebrew and elementary Greek at the same time. I have always heard that taking both at the same time is a bad idea. Is it really that big of a deal? Can both be taken? Any advice on taking them?

Just for info, I do not consider myself exceptionally bright at languages. I feel that i am average.

Taking both would be no different than taking one year of a language in one semester, which is pretty much split session classes (i.e. Greek I first half of the semester, Greek II second half).

Split session items tend to be reserved for those who are either exceptionally bright, who are already familiar with the material, or who are average, but very studious and can manage time very well. I've taken split session courses from College Algebra/Precalculus as well as Accounting I/Accounting II at a secular college. It is very tough, even if the course is easy, simply because of the accelerated rate.

You won't have the split session issue, but you will have to split your head into two parts for each language. It can get very confusing, very fast if you walk into a language brand-new, don't have much of an idea of what to do, and have to deal with two items similar in history, but very different in nature.

I thought you were already taking Greek?

Not sure if you don't consider yourself exceptionally bright in the languages if you should take them together. Why not just adjust your timeframe? I would just extend your timeframe by a year and learn the languages as best as you can because class is only the beginning.

I started taking Greek last Fall. The problem was that it was one of those hybrid classes where my professor was teaching in San Antonio live while teaching via video to Houston and Shawnee, OK. The professor could not keep up with three classes. It was next to impossible to ask questions. It just became a hassle. I wasn't learning really. I just dropped it.

I started taking Greek last Fall. The problem was that it was one of those hybrid classes where my professor was teaching in San Antonio live while teaching via video to Houston and Shawnee, OK. The professor could not keep up with three classes. It was next to impossible to ask questions. It just became a hassle. I wasn't learning really. I just dropped it.

Ah, got it. I dropped Greek with RTS-Virtual. I would not do Hebrew and Greek together but I work fulltime. It might be different for you. My school doesn't offer them together anyway. We started Hebrew 1 with 40 students; started Hebrew 2 with 22 and we are taking the midterm/final next week and we are down to 15. After that the professors estimates we will be at maybe 10-12. The languages are tough because it's like learning another language ;) so I would readjust your timeline if at all possible.

I would like to readjust. I am just not sure if it is possible. My GI Bill runs out in two years. I would like to be done at that time.

Hate to sound all cliche and stuff...

Trust in God. RTS would not accept my GI Bill so I did not attend there. Now that I'm essentially done with my M.Div just need the languages which I chose to do at RTS via the consortium...there is money at RTS and it's not my GI Bill. While it is essentially less expensive to attend via the consortium, once the money RTS and their donors is taken into account my tuition at RTS is half of what it would be which is even less than I would pay at the consortium. As Michael Corleone would say "Just when I think that I'm out, they pull me back in!" I'm now in Hebrew2, 3, and an OT class. Looking at earning a certificate in Biblical Studies. My GI Bill runs out in July, RTS doesn't accept it anyway, and God worked it out. Ain't He alright!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back