Leaving a Church

Status
Not open for further replies.

ServantOfKing

Puritan Board Freshman
When it is has been deemed necessary to leave a church, do you just transfer membership to another church or do you terminate your membership and then seek to join a new church? (If the two churches are in the same area)

Thanks!

[Edited on 8-26-2006 by ServantOfKing]

You would transfer. This can be done verbally or in letter form. My belief is that if that both churches are functioning properly, the church you are applying for membership to should be responsible to contact the previous church to make sure there is not dscipline pending against you or anyone in your family.

[Edited on 8-26-2006 by Scott Bushey]

:ditto:

Unless, of course, you belong to some real crazy fringe denomination that you're now ashamed of... then you should fake a recent conversion, and join anew.;)

So basically, is it okay in the process of looking for a new church to technically be a member of the old church but really not all that active? Especially if the process is long and complicated because you aren't living near the church you're a member of, but you're moving back there?

Originally posted by ServantOfKing
So basically, is it okay in the process of looking for a new church to technically be a member of the old church but really not all that active? Especially if the process is long and complicated because you aren't living near the church you're a member of, but you're moving back there?
So, basically, you're just begging the answer to your own question. :p

One should always have membership; even in the midst of a new church search. Sounds like you are providentialy hindered at this point.

I would recommend that you inform your Pastor and elders of the fact that your leaving and give them reasons if asked.

For the record, this doesn't have to do with Calvary. Unfortunately, I did not transfer my membership up here for my years in college, something I seriously wish I had done.

So it would be best to talk to the pastors of the old church before beginning the process of seeking/ joining a new church instead of waiting until the new church has been found?

Thanks
:D

For the record, this doesn't have to do with Calvary. Unfortunately, I did not transfer my membership up here for my years in college, something I seriously wish I had done.

So it would be best to talk to the pastors of the old church before beginning the process of seeking/ joining a new church instead of waiting until the new church has been found?

Thanks

Definitely!
When I did what your doing (about a year ago) my Pastor of course asked me why and I told him my reasons. He gave me his blessing and I am sure has prayed for me ever since. I continue to be in contact with him.

Thanks

The old church being a Baptist church?

Yes, it is. It is a rather difficult situation. We have made the decision to leave the church, but my fiance has decided that we are not going to leave until after we are married. The precedent of people leaving the church, especially in recent days, has not been pleasant. His dad is a deacon and we have already told him our reasons in the most gentle way possible, but it was not taken well at all. We have talked with our campus minister up here about things and he also advised us to speak with the pastors and tell them our intent to leave. We have a bit of a fear that once we go to the pastors and speak with them (from past occurrences and also things that some of the pastors have said publicly) that it will not be taken well at all. While I am away, my fiance continues to go there, and plans to until we are married... I think that probably we should get over our fears and go ahead and speak with one of the pastors.... The reason I asked is because we didn't know if it would be wisest to speak with them and say, "this is where we plan to go to church," or to say, "we have these problems with the church and we intend to leave, although we don't know where we're going to go." Many members and leaders of this particular church have the mentality that it is the best/ one of the only good churches, and do not take people leaving well. We know this from observation and also from the response of family we have told. :-\ It is a sticky situation for us... I do not want to get too personal or specific with the details, but we did not really know the protocol for leaving a church...

Thank you. We are praying for humility & wisdom...My sinful nature and pride keeps creeping in :chained: ... I have to remember God's abundant & undeserved grace in my life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back