Left Behind opens Fri Oct 3. What are good ways of talking to people

Status
Not open for further replies.

whirlingmerc

Puritan Board Sophomore
What are good ways of interacting with people in conversations about the movie.

What are good ways of keeping the discussion focused on important issues and not side issues.

"I left behind left behind awhile ago." As a reply to someone who asks you to go see it.
"I'll watch it on cable if I am left behind which apparently could happen any moment." I personally would try to be funny but really I would just lay out why it makes no sense Biblically.

What are good ways of keeping the discussion focused on important issues and not side issues.

I don't know what you consider important or merely a side issue. If you plan on engaging people who have watched it, watch it yourself. In general I would go where the particular viewer is. For example:

1. Believer who embraces the eschatology: "It was a very entertaining movie. I have some different beliefs about the end times though...."

2. Unbeliever: "I am surprised that you went to see it, I curious as to why...."

In any respect I would just talk about it as the conversation merits.

Most people I interact with (Christian and Non Christian) know I am not into the Left Behind Series. But they do know that they will die and have to give an account. It matters not how they die but that they die in the faith in my estimation. So I make big about Hebrews 9:27. Jesus could come back for their account tomorrow. When asked about what if it is true I respond that they shouldn't neglect so great a salvation and that the Day of Visitation is mentioned in the scripture and they can go to a point of no return. They shouldn't harden their hearts against his goadings.

Much like Randy said... No matter how it might happen (and that movie is only guessing), the end of our lives here could come anytime for each of us. Today is the day to believe in Jesus.

That seems more helpful than getting involved in unprofitable quarrels (2 Tim. 14-19).

Much like Randy said... No matter how it might happen (and that movie is only guessing), the end of our lives here could come anytime for each of us. Today is the day to believe in Jesus.

That seems more helpful than getting involved in unprofitable quarrels (2 Tim. 14-19).

I can agree that there is a 'blessed hope' of Jesus appearing but 'not for you to know the schedule Acts 1:7English Standard Version (ESV)
7 He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority.

Anyone could die before the next heartbeat and I do believe Jesus could come in my lifetime. The gospel must be preached to all the nations. The man of lawlessness must be reaveled.... somehow

I think the point about not hardening your heart is important. The left behind approach seems to be to focus on decisionism and fear. I do believe 'all who trust in him will not be put to shame' and 'whoever calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved' but the focus isn't on the schedule and they are 'drawn with cords of love'

There is a scripture that 'this is the perseverance of the saints, the lake of fire' it would be interesting to know how people have looked at that

I don't know what you consider important or merely a side issue. If you plan on engaging people who have watched it, watch it yourself. In general I would go where the particular viewer is. For example:

1. Believer who embraces the eschatology: "It was a very entertaining movie. I have some different beliefs about the end times though...."

2. Unbeliever: "I am surprised that you went to see it, I curious as to why...."

I like # 2 for the unbeliever. As for # 1, that obviously is the light, gentle approach :lol:

I might add for the # 1: "do you realize that belief system of the second coming was completely unknown to Christianity prior to 1827?" (It is astonishing to me the number of people who have no clue about the history here.)

In another words, you really have to have some sort of "shock value" to your statement to even get the (1)s to pay attention. I"m not saying one should go the route of "it is a damnable heresy," at which point they will immediately turn you off, but it is important to get the message across that it is a very serious error of scripture while trying at the same time to not have them become defensive, which oftentimes is very difficult to do.

I thought it was the good guys who were left behind. It is supposed to be like Noah. He was left behind. It was the bad guys that were taken.

It's like the movie my wife and I saw (Heaven is for real). She thought it was good, but when I watched it, I admit great movie. But purely for entertainment purposes. The hard part is pointing out the flaws in it to people that give those movies credibility. I usually try to bring out that these movies feed on our emotions and disregard biblical truth since there is no reference point to the bible.

Perhaps in the best possible light Heaven is real and Left Behind might provoke thought and discussion. The initial reviews from Plugged in which is related to focus on the family suggest Left Behind is thought provoking

The Movie Heaven is real is not a good reason to believe but may be thought provoking and lead to openings for evangelism. Same goes for Left Behind. The acting and the story line is considered well done.

I like # 2 for the unbeliever. As for # 1, that obviously is the light, gentle approach :lol:

I might add for the # 1: "do you realize that belief system of the second coming was completely unknown to Christianity prior to 1827?" (It is astonishing to me the number of people who have no clue about the history here.)

In another words, you really have to have some sort of "shock value" to your statement to even get the (1)s to pay attention. I"m not saying one should go the route of "it is a damnable heresy," at which point they will immediately turn you off, but it is important to get the message across that it is a very serious error of scripture while trying at the same time to not have them become defensive, which oftentimes is very difficult to do.

It is difficult indeed. Eschatology tends to attract one issue only types. They bring plenty of shock for everyone. Especially if they of the know you believe very differently. It's a technique I try to employ in hard conversations. Works pretty well.

I always get the feeling pop discussions of eschatology seem like short circuiting issues. Like trying to take a shortcut though the southwest that missed the grand canyon.

I like the Christianity Today review
thanks Jake

I wonder if the hardcore Dispensational's will have waited until tonight's Blood Moon eclipse to see it...

In my experience the vast, vast majority of Christians, nominal or otherwise are completely unaware that anyone even has a view of the end times which differs from the stereotypical, pop culture eschatology on display in the series. Simply having someone say "You know, we don't all believe that this is how the world ends..." opens up some very interesting and useful conversations, both doctrinally and evangelistically.

In my experience the vast, vast majority of Christians, nominal or otherwise are completely unaware that anyone even has a view of the end times which differs from the stereotypical, pop culture eschatology on display in the series. Simply having someone say "You know, we don't all believe that this is how the world ends..." opens up some very interesting and useful conversations, both doctrinally and evangelistically.
Amen!

As to the question asked in the original post, it depends on who we are talking with.

With believers, we would do well to recall how the Reformers understood the Bible passages that Left Behind re-invents to mean something else. In particular: the way the Left Behind apologists take passages in Daniel 9 that Luther and Calvin applied to Christ, and now apply those verses to Antichrist instead. And how they offer a seven-year-long 'second chance' to churchgoers who are unprepared when Christ comes for the Church -- contrary to Jesus' parables of the wise and foolish virgins, etc.

With unbelievers, we might do well to ignore the eschatological debates, and focus on how the movie should make us think about our relationship with God -- and that this world is not all there is, but we need to think about Eternity. Since our life can end at any moment, we need to get to know Jesus now before we are called to 'meet our Maker.'

David

It matters not how they die but that they die in the faith.
This is important in any discussion of the movie otherwise:
*If talking to a believer with a good grasp of the scriptures (not someone who just spouts "proof texts") I'd talk eschatology
*If talking to a believer who goes along with the latest evangelical American fads, I'd ask: Can you tell me what interests you in this movie, then keep any response simple and to the point.
*If talking to a nonbeliever who has taken an interest, I might ask about the basis for his interest, then ask him if anything like the movie were to occur, what would be your hope? How would you deal with suddenly standing before a holy God?

It matters not how they die but that they die in the faith.
This is important in any discussion of the movie otherwise:
*If talking to a believer with a good grasp of the scriptures (not someone who just spouts "proof texts") I'd talk eschatology
*If talking to a believer who goes along with the latest evangelical American fads, I'd ask: Can you tell me what interests you in this movie, then keep any response simple and to the point.
*If talking to a nonbeliever who has taken an interest, I might ask about the basis for his interest, then ask him if anything like the movie were to occur, what would be your hope? How would you deal with suddenly standing before a holy God?

As a rule of thumb what glorifies God more? Dying in the faith or living in the faith will glorify God and magnify His name. However, avoiding troubles or faith that's more like fire insurance... well.. not necessarily ...

It's a bit odd if a few years of troubles are more fearful than an eternity under God's wrath, or the joys of eternity with God as off the radar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back